On the other hand...: 8th District cops have proven once again that they don't seem to know how to deal with violent assaults, and tend to cover them up until the public inquires. This horrific attack 2 weeks ago appeared nowhere in NOPD reports (nor the much vaunted Crime Map) until NOcrimeline inquired after a relative of the victim's asked us about it:
Using a video recorded by a nearby resident, detectives issued arrest warrants for 3 19-year-olds with frat-boy-sounding names: Richard J. Bienvenu IV, Brock R. Miramon, and Alexander K. Riecke. They were each charged with second-degree battery which carries a penalty of up to 5 years in prison for inflicting "serious bodily injury." They surrendered to 8th District cops 4 days after the incident.
[Danny Monteverde of the Times-Picayune did a follow-up story on this with many more details.]
Speaking of cover-ups: Last May, the NOPD made a big deal of issuing a press release about Cynthia Hughes Rogers, 53, being wanted for embezzlement of over $60,000 from an apartment rental company in the French Quarter and a contractor in Kenner. She allegedly used the proceeds to buy a pearl-colored 2007 Lexus GS.
Case in point: Last Saturday (2.4.12), the NOPD made a big deal of tracking down and arresting a 30-year-old black guy, Travis Henderson. He allegedly boosted an iPhone and wallet from a woman's purse in a club in the 400 block of Bourbon Street around 1:10 a.m.
The release labeled Henderson as a "possible career criminal" with his 9 felony, 12 misdemeanor, and 21 municipal arrests, most from 1999 when Henderson was 18. The NOPD didn't indicate if the blonde white woman had any prior arrests.
The rest of the robberies: Really, this is the extent of robberies since the first of the month--if the NOPD can be believed:
- Friday (2.3.12) 7:10 p.m.: A 45-year-old white man was robbed in front of 2273 Decatur St. (in the 8th District's newly expanded patrol area in the Marigny Rectangle) by 2 black hoodlums who stuck what was believed to be a gun in his back. They emptied his pockets and fled on foot toward St. Claude Avenue.
- Saturday (2.4.12) 11:45 p.m.: A 20-year-old white girl was walking in the 600 block of Spain Street in the Marigny Rectangle when 2 white thugs stuck what was believed to be a gun in her back and demanded money. She complied and they fled on foot toward the river.
- Sunday (2.5.12) 7:00 a.m.: A 22-year-old white man walking in the 600 block of Burgundy Street (between Toulouse and St. Peter streets) was robbed by 2 white guys whose descriptions sound a lot like those of the robbers of a white girl the day before in the Marigny. Apparently the victim had met the guys earlier the night before and got into an argument with them. They beat him up and cleaned out his pockets before fleeing in a silver-colored truck.
- Tuesday (2.7.12) 7:45 a.m.: A 13-year-old black school girl waiting for the bus near Canal Street and Elk Place was robbed by a 14-year-old black girl she knew. The girl asked for money, then to use the victim's cellphone. The victim refused, but the older girl grabbed the phone from her hand and fled on foot.
- Tuesday (2.7.12) 10:40 p.m.: A 21-year-old white man was robbed on by a gang of 3 black guys, one of whom stuck his hand behind the victim's back, implying he had a weapon, while the other 2 pushed him against the wall and rifled through his pockets. The trio fled on foot on Conti toward the river, but 2 were apprehended by cops.
- Saturday (2.4.12) 12:52 a.m.: Simple rape in the 141 S. Rampart St. (near Canal Street).
- Sunday (2.5.12) 11:36 p.m.: Aggravated rape in the 600 block of Bourbon Street (between Toulouse and St. Peter streets).
- Tuesday (2.7.12) 3:24 p.m.: A man raped in the 300 block of O'Keefe Avenue, possibly in the O'Keefe Plaza Hotel.
Good cop gone bad, briefly: There are few cops in the 8th District more beloved than former Quality of Life officer Roger Jones Jr. But the soft-spoken Jones, 38, was suspended without pay from the NOPD this past week after his counterparts in Jefferson Parish and New Orleans said he got liquored up last fall and was involved in 2 hit-and-run accidents with his police cruiser in those jurisdictions on the same day.
It's not to say those misdeeds ought to go unpunished if Jones is found guilty. But Super Chief Ronal Serpas has a bad habit of throwing away good cops for dubious offenses (see Jeff Winn, Marlon DeFillo, among others). Serpas' own son-in-law had a similar mishap before Serpas was appointed chief, but survived it and went on to be a fine detective in the 8th District.
Travis Ward, then 33, was initially charged with DWI after totaling a police cruiser while a member of the SWAT team, but the charge was reduced to a minor traffic offense. He was suspended without pay for 60 days.
All of this occurred before Serpas became chief, but nonetheless Serpas should show similar mercy on Jones, rather than lose a good officer the public adores.
Recent crimes in the 8th District
Theft, 227 Bourbon, 4:55 a.m.
Theft, 333 Poydras, 11:26 a.m.
Bicycle Theft, 836 Elysian Fields, 3:36 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 400 Bourbon, 4:00 p.m.
Auto Burglary, Girod & LaSalle, 8:07 p.m.
Shoplifting, 127 Royal, 8:35 p.m.
Theft, 409 O'Keefe, 8:47 p.m.
Auto Theft, 200 Decatur, 1:07 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 600 Burgundy, 3:44 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 600 Kerlerec, 4:24 p.m.
Theft, 626 Kerlerec, 5:37 p.m.
Theft, 8 Canal, 10:19 p.m.
Auto Theft, 816 S Peters, 2:34 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, LaSalle & Perdido, 3:14 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 818 Chartres, 4:01 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1200 N Peters, 8:02 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 800 Decatur, 8:51 a.m.
Theft, 1501 Girod, 11:51 a.m.
Theft, 500 Port of New Orleans, 1:30 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1000 Iberville, 6:57 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1000 Iberville, 8:12 p.m.
Theft, 900 Convention Center, 8:18 p.m.
Auto Theft, O'Keefe & Poydras, 11:22 a.m.
Auto Theft, Canal & N Villere, 1:57 p.m.
Theft, 424 Bourbon, 9:59 p.m.
Theft, 8 Canal, 10:50 p.m.
Theft, 700 Bourbon, 11:05 p.m.
Theft, 227 Bourbon, 11:16 p.m.
Shoplifting, 134 Royal, 12:24 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, 200 Bourbon, 4:10 p.m.
Shoplifting, 400 N Peters, 6:27 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 2273 Decatur, 7:14 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 600 Bourbon, 1:21 a.m.
Pickpocketing, Bourbon & St Louis, 10:47 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, 334 Royal, 9:45 a.m.
Armed Robbery, 600 Spain, 9:54 a.m.
Auto Theft, Ntachez & Tchoupitoulas, 10:12 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 1008 N Peters, 1:39 p.m.
Auto Theft, 310 Andrew Higgins, 3:16 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 200 Bourbon, 4:28 a.m.
Theft, 2 Poydras, 7:46 a.m.
Theft, 908 Esplanade, 9:51 a.m.
Shoplifting, 800 Canal, 8:31 p.m.
Theft, 800 Canal, 3:52 a.m.
Simple Robbery, Canal & Elk, 9:25 a.m.
Auto Theft, 2000 Royal, 1:49 p.m.
Theft, 416 Bourbon, 8:50 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 2100 Decatur, 10:07 p.m.
Armed Robbery, 300 Bourbon, 10:31 p.m.
Theft, 441 Bourbon, 1:25 a.m.
Theft, 345 St Joseph, 12:01 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 100 Baronne, 6:25 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1415 Girod, 12:14 p.m.
Theft, 219 Loyola, 12:15 p.m.
Shoplifting, 522 Bourbon, 7:45 p.m.
Theft, 511 Bourbon, 11:06 p.m.
Auto Burglary, Church & Julia, 11:00 a.m.
Theft, 721 Iberville, 3:29 p.m.
Auto Theft, 923 Constance, 9:48 p.m.
Theft, 221 Carondelet, 12:16 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 333 Canal, 5:22 p.m.
Theft, 850 Convention Center, 8:14 p.m.
Theft, 315 Julia, 10:10 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 500 Bourbon, 11:27 p.m.