Never too old: It used to be, it seemed, that the victims of robberies in the French Quarter were younger, in their 20's or 30's. But lately, it seems like robbers are targeting older, AARP card carriers, in their 50's and 60's.
What's the lesson here? Often you can say victims are inviting trouble by being on the streets in the wee hours. But half of these cases were in daylight or early evening hours. Where were the cops? The NOPD is touting a new half-million-dollar mapping system to pinpoint crime, but perhaps officers haven't gotten up to the chapter on "Burgundy Street" yet. Most of the robberies were on or near Burgundy. You would think the NOPD brass--or their fancy new computer software--would see the trend over that month and put more cops on the beat. But instead, this is what happened:
- Thursday (10.27.11): 8th District cops apprehended Ricky Wilson, 21, believed to be one of 3 black robbers who struck twice within 5 minutes apart in the French Quarter. At 7 p.m., a 62-year-old white woman was walking near Burgundy and Dumaine streets when she was approached by the trio of robbers and one grabbed her purse from her grasp.
- Tuesday (11.8.11) 3:00 a.m.: A 53-year-old white man walking on Burgundy Street near Barracks Street when he was held up by 3 black punks. He heard footsteps behind him, then felt a push on his back and one of the hoods telling him to "give it up." He handed him his wallet, then the robber fled on foot along with his buddies on Burgundy toward N. Rampart Street.
- Friday (11.11.11) 1:15 a.m.: A 52-year-old white man standing on N. Rampart Street near Pauger Street in the Marigny Triangle was robbed by 2 black guys, one of whom pulled a silver-colored automatic handgun and demanded his money. After the victim complied, the duo took off on foot up Pauger toward St. Claude Avenue.
- Friday (11.11.11) 1:10 a.m.: A 66-year-old white gentleman walking on Burgundy Street near Ursulines Street was accosted by 3 black thugs, one of whom pulled a handgun and demanded his money.
- Saturday (11.19.11) 6:54 p.m.: A pair of black boys engaged a 52-year-old white woman waiting at the bus stop at Gov. Nicholls and N. Rampart streets in conversation. After a few minutes, one grabbed $2 in cash from her hand and then grabbed her bicycle which was next to her. They took off on N. Rampart toward Elysian Fields Avenue.
- Thursday (11.24.11) 12:45 a.m.: A 52-year-old white gentleman and his 22-year-old daughter walking on Bourbon Street near St. Ann Street when a black dude came up and started going through the man's pant's pockets. When the victim objected, the robber punched him in the eye and fled down Bourbon.
- Thursday (11.24.11) 10:50 a.m.: A 64-year-old white lady was standing in the 1200 block of Burgundy Street (between Barracks and Gov. Nicholls streets) when a black man came up and asked for directions before he snatched her purse and fled on foot toward Esplanade Avenue.
- Monday (11.14.11) 11:05 a.m.: A 27-year-old black woman was sitting in her car in the 1900 block of Dauphine Street (between Pauger and Touro streets) in the Marigny Triangle when 2 black thugs came up, one armed with a black and chrome handgun and ordered her out of her vehicle. They fled in the car on Dauphine toward Elysian Fields Avenue.
- Thursday (11.24.11) 10:20 p.m.: A 14-year-old black boy walking on Burgundy Street near St. Ann Street was attacked by 2 white thugs who approached him from behind and struck him with glass bottles (another one of those unenforced laws), knocking him to the ground. The perps then held him on the ground and pulled out a knife, demanding his money, rifling his pockets for cash. A passerby intervened and the crooks fled.
- Saturday (11.26.11) 1:20 a.m.: A 21-year-old black chick walking on St. Ann Street near Jackson Square while texting on her iPhone was relieved of that infernal device by a black punk who ran up and grabbed it from her hand.
- Saturday (11.26.11) 4:57 a.m.: A 20-year-old black woman had her purse snatched from her hand by a black guy as she was boarding the elevator at the Embassy Suites Hotel, 315 Julia St.
- Wednesday (11.30.11) 4:20 p.m.: A 45-year-old black lady getting out of car in the 2000 block of Burgundy Street (between Touro and Frenchmen streets) when she was accosted by a black dude who produced what she believed to be a weapon and demanded money. When she said she didn't have any, he demanded her car keys. He fled in her vehicle with her purse and cellphone (wouldn't you love it if detectives would give you a description of a stolen auto if they really want your help in solving a crime?).
- Sunday (11.27.11) : A 27-year-old black woman walking and talking on Bourbon Street near Bienville Street when a black boy snatched her iPhone out of her hand.
- Wednesday (11.30.11) 9:05 p.m.: A 29-year-old white guy standing at Bourbon and St. Peter streets was talking on his iPhone when a black thug ran up, snatched the phone from his hand, and kept running on St. Peter to Dauphine Street.
- Wednesday (10.26.11) 12:40 a.m.: A 36-year-old white man walking in the 500 block of Dumaine Street near Decatur Street was accosted by 2 black punks brandishing a knife demanded his money. They fled on foot with his money, wallet and cellphone.
- Saturday (10.29.11) 2:00 a.m.: A 29-year-old white man walking in the 500 block of Bienville Street (between Decatur and Chartres streets) when he was accosted by a black thug who knocked him to the ground and took his wallet from his pocket before fleeing on foot.
- Monday (11.7.11) 5:30 a.m.: A white couple, he 38, she 30, were walking on Bourbon Street near Dumaine Street behind 2 black chicks when a car pulled up and 2 black dudes got out. The black women began attacking his girlfriend and taking her purse, while the men pulled a gun and struck him with it, going through his pockets, taking what they could. The quartet of crooks got back in the car and fled.
- Saturday (11.12.11) 7:00 p.m.: A 25-year-old white woman walking on Decatur Street by Jackson Square was accosted by a gang of 4 black punks who grabbed her purse from her grasp and then fled on foot on the Moonwalk toward Canal Street.
- Friday (11.18.11) 2:30 a.m.: Call it the case of "The Persistent Pizza Pursuer". A 25-year-old white woman and her friend came out of pizza joint on Bourbon Street when a black no-good came up and asked for her pizza. She declined, and he harassed her for 2 blocks, then returned a block later, continually demanding her pizza and yelling things at her.
- Saturday (11.26.11) 5:20 a.m.: A 21-year-old man strolling the Quarter was approached by a black chick who directed him to the 500 block of Wilkinson Street near Decatur Street (for what, no one's saying). There he was attacked from behind by a black dude who punched him in the eye, doubling him over and allowing the attacker to go through his pants pockets.
- Sunday (11.27.11) 1:00 a.m.: A 24-year-old white man and a friend who were standing at Burgundy and Kerlerec streets was accosted by a black guy who demanded his money. Then a second black thug appeared and put the victim in a headlock. The victim managed to free himself, only to find the first thug had pulled out a handgun. He threw his money on the ground and fled.
Auto Theft-Attempt, 1300 Perdido, 12:55 a.m.
Theft, 1104 Canal, 7:09 a.m.
Auto Theft, Gov Nicholls & N Rampart, 7:30 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 2 Poydras, 10:36 a.m.
Simple Robbery, Bienville & Bourbon, 10:55 a.m.
Theft, 945 Magazine, 4:53 p.m.
Theft, 600 Decatur, 5:40 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 600 Gravier, 10:54 p.m.
Auto Theft, Constance & Lafayette, 8:52 a.m.
Theft, 921 Canal, 10:40 a.m.
Theft, 444 St Charles, 1:07 p.m.
Shoplifting, 619 Decatur, 1:55 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 501 Bourbon, 11:54 p.m.
Homicide, Canal & University, 1:46 a.m.
Aggravated Battery, Burgundy & Conti, 2:03 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 1000 Iberville, 4:05 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 407 Baronne, 6:06 a.m.
Theft, 601 Loyola, 10:55 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 800 Frenchmen, 1:02 p.m.
Shoplifting, 134 Royal, 1:12 p.m.
Auto Burglary, Bienville & N Front, 4:25 p.m.
Aggravated Assault, Elk & Loyola, 7:17 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1001 Burgundy, 9:20 a.m.
Theft, 718 Bourbon, 1:18 p.m.
Theft, 135 St Charles, 4:18 p.m.
Theft, 1001 Toulouse, 4:19 p.m.
Auto Theft, 860 Magazine, 5:38 p.m.
Theft, 132 Royal, 6:37 p.m.
Theft, 320 Decatur, 9:37 p.m.
Auto Theft, Bienville & Clinton, 11:33 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, 8 Canal, 4:12 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 100 Bourbon, 6:21 p.m.
Theft, 709 St Charles, 7:32 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 500 Bourbon, 9:21 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, 1001 Esplanade, 11:44 p.m.
Theft, 441 Bourbon, 11:54 p.m.
Theft, 606 Frenchmen, 12:40 a.m.
Simple Robbery, 400 N Peters, 3:49 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 100 Conti, 10:22 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 411 Bourbon, 1:35 a.m.
Pursesnatching, 544 Bourbon, 2:08 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 900 Iberville, 2:49 a.m.
Pickpocketing, 345 St Joseph, 4:42 a.m.
Theft, 201 Baronne, 10:23 a.m.
Theft, 300 Gravier, 10:59 a.m.
Theft, 500 St Peter, 12:27 p.m.
Auto Burglary, Baronne & Union, 6:07 p.m.
Simple Robbery, Carondelet & Common, 7:01 p.m.
Auto Theft, 1600 Gravier, 7:59 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1007 Conti, 10:49 p.m.
Theft, 441 Bourbon, 11:39 p.m.
Auto Theft, 930 Kerlerec, 8:14 a.m.
Theft, 527 Decatur, 11:30 a.m.
Shoplifting, 907 Decatur, 11:44 a.m.
Theft, 365 Canal, 12:09 p.m.
Auto Theft, 800 Common, 1:17 p.m.
Theft, 516 Bourbon, 1:55 a.m.
Simple Robbery, 1200 Burgundy, 3:05 a.m.
Pickpocketing, 439 Dauphine, 3:38 a.m.
Theft, 718 Orleans, 4:25 p.m.
Auto Theft, 700 O'Keefe, 6:29 p.m.
Theft, 632 Bourbon, 9:12 p.m.
Auto Burglary, Decatur & St Peter, 6:45 a.m.
Bicycle Theft (Attempt), 900 Magazine, 10:51 a.m.
Armed Robbery, Iberville & Royal, 11:21 a.m.
Theft, 500 Canal, 1:01 p.m.
Pursesnatching (attempted), Canal & Magazine, 4:57 p.m.
Armed Robbery, 1800 N Rampart, 1:16 a.m.
Armed Robbery, 1000 Burgundy, 1:28 a.m.
Auto Burglary, Baronne & Julia, 8:48 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 624 Gravier, 9:47 a.m.
Shoplifting, 900 Canal, 10:13 a.m.
Theft, 501 Tchoupitoulas, 2:15 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 400 Canal, 5:09 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 500 Royal, 6:03 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 927 Poeyfarre, 8:03 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 300 Picayune, 8:49 p.m.
Theft, Bourbon & Canal, 9:51 p.m.
Theft, 420 N Rampart, 11:33 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 400 Bourbon, 6:46 a.m.
Theft, 500 Canal, 6:56 a.m.
Auto Theft, 900 Decatur, 8:17 a.m.
Auto Theft, 212 Chartres, 11:25 a.m.
Shoplifting, 714 Canal, 2:01 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 900 Decatur, 3:54 p.m.
Pursesnatching, Iberville & N Peters, 7:13 p.m.
Auto Theft, Chartres & Ursuline, 8:17 p.m.
Theft, 734 Bourbon, 12:42 a.m.
Theft, 1300 Canal, 2:45 a.m.
Theft, 511 Bourbon, 3:06 a.m.
Aggravated Assault, 400 Toulouse, 3:53 a.m.
Theft, 121 Chartres, 6:58 a.m.
Auto Theft, N Diamond & Fulton, 12:29 p.m.
Theft, 417 Royal, 5:51 p.m.
Theft, 125 Bourbon, 10:37 p.m.
Armed Robbery, 1900 Dauphine, 11:11 a.m.
Bicycle Theft, 800 Canal, 5:55 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 600 Dumaine, 11:19 p.m.
Theft, 827 Toulouse, 9:27 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 214 Royal, 9:49 a.m.
Auto Burglary, Natchez & Tchoupitoulas, 10:00 a.m.
Shoplifting, 134 Royal, 10:50 a.m.
Bicycle Theft, 100 Bourbon, 12:09 p.m.
Aggravated Battery, 226 Bourbon, 5:07 a.m.
Aggravated Assault, Girod & O'Keefe, 9:22 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 936 St Charles, 10:13 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 111 Iberville, 1:11 p.m.
Auto Burglary, Julia & St Charles, 1:35 p.m.
Auto Theft, 611 Common, 1:47 p.m.
Shoplifting, 333 Chartres, 6:29 p.m.
Theft, 700 Canal, 10:14 p.m.
Theft, 334 Royal, 10:56 p.m.
Pickpocketing, Bourbon & Iberville, 2:38 a.m.
Theft, 300 Bourbon, 8:17 a.m.
Theft, 8 Canal, 10:44 a.m.
Auto Theft, 1000 Iberville, 11:50 a.m.
Shoplifting, 522 Bourbon, 3:37 p.m.
Auto Theft, 215 Decatur, 4:21 p.m.
Shoplifting, 504 Bourbon, 4:43 p.m.
Theft, 927 Royal, 5:21 p.m.
Theft, 516 Bourbon, 1:25 p.m.
Theft, 333 Bourbon, 2:16 p.m.
Aggravated Battery (cutting), Exchange & Iberville, 4:46 p.m.
Simple Robbery, Gov Nicholls & N Rampart, 6:54 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1000 Constance, 8:00 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 100 Carondelet, 8:41 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1000 Constance, 8:51 p.m.
Pickpocketing, Canal & Carondelet, 9:32 p.m.
Auto Burglary, Decatur & Ursulines, 11:44 p.m.
Theft, 701 Baronne, 11:30 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 900 Bourbon, 12:55 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, 937 Kerlerec, 1:35 p.m.
Auto Theft, 600 Dauphine, 4:32 p.m.
Business Burglary, 620 Decatur, 9:09 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 920 Poeyfarre, 9:50 a.m.
Theft, 219 Loyola, 1:31 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1000 Iberville, 2:06 p.m.
Theft, 1400 N Rampart, 2:43 p.m.
Theft, Bienville & Bourbon, 4:12 p.m.
Theft, 519 Decatur, 4:59 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 700 Bourbon, 1:01 a.m.
Theft, 8 Canal, 9:30 a.m.
Pursesnatching, 1202 Burgundy, 11:01 a.m.
Aggravated Battery (shooting), 100 Baronne, 9:02 p.m.
Aggravated Battery, 700 Burgundy, 10:22 p.m.
Theft, 1415 Tulane, 11:49 a.m.
Theft, 739 Canal, 2:25 a.m.
Pursesnatching, 315 Julia, 4:53 a.m.
Simple Robbery, 500 Wlkinson, 5:20 a.m.
Theft, 135 St Charles, 7:09 a.m.
Theft, 803 Conti, 10:37 a.m.
Auto Theft, 400 Elysian Fields, 12:43 p.m.
Theft, 1500 Poydras, 1:58 p.m.
Theft, Decatur & St Ann, 5:21 p.m.