Hanging up phone thieves: 8th District detectives believe they've nabbed the culprits who pulled off the heists of 3 iPhones last Sunday (5.22.11) with the arrest of Dwight Murray Jr. (left), 18, and Horace Toppins (right), 19, on Wednesday (5.25.11).
Have you seen her?: 8th District detective Jerusha Hillman is looking for a 53-year-old woman who once worked for a French Quarter apartment rental company.
Ding! Ding! Ding!: After being relatively quiet for a long while in the French Quarter, the bad guys lit up the 8th District's crime map last week like a pinball machine. Welcome to the 8th District, Cmdr. Walls.
- Saturday (5.21.11) 1:16 a.m.: A 23-year-old white guy walking in the 300 block of Chartres Street (between Bienville and Conti streets) was grabbed by a black thug who demanded his money. The victim broke free of his attacker's grasp and fled.
- Saturday (5.21.11) 2:00 a.m.: 3 white guys, one 22 and the others 24, were walking in the 400 block of Chartres Street (between Conti and St. Louis streets) when they were accosted by 2 armed black dudes.
- Saturday (5.21.11) 3:30 a.m.: A patron of Club Tango, at Bienville and Burgundy streets, found it wasn't wise to bring a knife to a gunfight. When a bouncer tried to eject Gregory Cohn, 31, from the bar, police say Cohn pulled a knife from his waistband and threatened the bouncer; the bouncer drew his legally-owned pistol and disarmed Cohn.
- Monday (5.23.11) 3:15 a.m.: A 20-year-old black woman and two 21-year-old white women escaped being shot at Decatur and St. Philip streets when they tussled with a black thug who pulled a gun and demanded their purses. One woman ran away while the other 2 struggled with the robber, causing his weapon to fire. He grabbed one of their purses and fled on foot.
- Tuesday (5.24.11) 2:15 a.m.: Two black hoodlums were caught on video surveillance cameras after they robbed 2 tourists in the CBD. The victims were walking back to their hotel in the CBD after a night on Bourbon Street when they ran into the 2 black guys in the 200 block of Carondelet Street, just across Canal Street, and asked them where they could find a restaurant that was open. The 2 blacks said they would take them to one around the corner in the 700 block of Gravier Street.
- Tuesday (5.24.11) 10:45 a.m.: A 71-year-old white lady was mugged by a black thug in the 300 block of St. Joseph Street, near the Convention Center. He pulled a gun and demanded her purse, which she gave up.
- Wednesday (5.25.11) 2:10 a.m.: Two black thieves came up empty-handed when they knocked a 48-year-old white man to the ground in the 800 block of St. Ann Street (between Bourbon and Dauphine streets).
(Click on the crime map to enlarge it)
* * *