Young blood infuses 8th District: After usurping the police chief's responsibility to discipline his own men by suspending 8th District Commander Edwin Hosli last Thursday (5.5.11), Mayor Mitch Landrieu completed the coup by appointing Jeffrey H. Walls as commander of the 8th.
Cage uncaged: Just because Nicolas Cage allegedly beat on his wife and a few neighbors' cars, District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro dismissed charges the NOPD pressed when they arrested the actor 4.15.11 in the 600 block of Dumaine Street.
- Wednesday (5.4.11) 5:41 a.m.: A 32-year-old man who tried to stop 2 black guys from breaking into his girlfriend's car in the 800 block of Elysian Fields Avenue should have called the cops instead.
- Monday (5.2.11) 3:47 p.m.: Cops arrested Christopher Turner, 30, and charged him with aggravated battery and criminal mischief for filing a false report about his knife fight with another 30-year-old white man 4.30.11 at 3:20 p.m. on Bourbon Street. (It could have been the 200 block, or the 300 block, or the 400 block--depending on which police report you believe.)
- Saturday (4.30.11) 3:20 p.m.: A 34-year-old white guy got into a beef with a black dude in the 500 block of Gravier Street in the CBD when the black guy pulled a pistol and threatened him.
- Friday (5.6.11) 5:30 a.m.: A 30-year-old not-so-bright white woman in the 400 block of Dauphine Street took out a black bag full of money (stupid is as stupid does) when a white guy asked her for a dollar. A second white guy opted for the whole thing, and grabbed the bag before fleeing on foot on St. Louis Street, then down Burgundy Street. She described him as 5'8" tall, with a thin build and brown hair, wearing a cream-colored T-shirt and blue jeans.
- Thursday (5.5.11) 2:29 a.m.:Two 26-year-old white women walking in the 700 block of Dumaine Street where accosted by a black guy with a handgun who demanded their purses before fleeing in 4-door silver sedan.
- Monday (5.2.11) 12:40 a.m.: In another robbery that may be related to the 2 above, a 33-year-old white man and a 40-year-old Asian man were walking near Burgundy and St. Peter streets when they were surrounded by 4 black thugs who pulled guns and demanded their money.
- Sunday (5.1.11) 8:10 p.m.: A 71-year-old white lady walking near Bourbon Street and Esplanade Avenue was mugged by a white hoodlum who grabbed her purse and fled.
I thought we all should toughen up a bit--we've all been called been called names, whether gay or straight, black or white, thin or fat, young or old, or for most any reason. But they pointed out gays have been targeted repeatedly with violence, not just words.
(I too know what that is like: being chased by black boys in South Philly who were hollering "Get whitey!" Luckily, in those days I was younger, thinner and faster, and got away.)
But what it amounts too is this: all crimes are "hate" crimes; there's no love in someone sticking a gun in your ribs and demanding your money, no matter what your sexual orientation is, your race, your age, or any other distinguishing characteristic.
For gays to feel they should have some extra protection under the law is anathema to the equality they espouse.
* * *
Crimes last week in the 8th District
(Click on the crime map to enlarge it)
Auto Burglary, 740 Gravier, 10:14 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 700 Touro, 10:17 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 827 Dauphine, 11:00 a.m.
Attempted Rape, 601 Chartres, 2:36 p.m.
Aggravated Assault, 644 Camp, 3:01 p.m.
Shoplifting, 134 Royal, 3:38 p.m.
Shoplifting, 1124 Decatur, 3:57 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, 300 Gravier, 7:21 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 1501 Girod, 10:17 p.m.
Theft, 8 Canal, 3:15 a.m.
Auto Theft, 1300 Poydras, 11:41 a.m.
Theft, 701 Convention Center, 12:07 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1025 Bienville, 1:21 p.m.
Theft, 701 Bourbon, 3:57 p.m.
Theft, 945 Magazine, 4:22 p.m.
Auto Theft, 920 Poeyfarre, 4:39 p.m.
Theft, Bourbon & Orleans, 12:28 p.m.
Armed Robbery, 100 Conti, 4:32 a.m.
Business Burglary, 400 Lafayette, 7:52 a.m.
Theft, 700 Canal, 9:30 a.m.
Theft, 547 St Ann, 1:02 p.m.
Theft, 339 Bourbon, 3:07 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 738 Toulouse, 7:00 p.m.
Theft, 718 St Peter, 8:50 p.m.
Auto Theft, 500 Canal, 10:01 p.m.
Business Burglary, 800 Camp, 5:39 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 735 Camp, 7:01 a.m.
Auto Theft, 800 Camp, 10:24 a.m.
Auto Theft, Royal & St Philip, 10:42 a.m.
Auto Theft, 800 Camp, 11:00 a.m.
Theft, 816 Decatur, 11:16 a.m.
Auto Theft, 800 Camp, 11:43 a.m.
Theft, 437 Esplanade, 12:15 p.m.
Theft, 600 Decatur, 5:34 p.m.
Auto Theft, Conti & Decatur, 9:23 p.m.
Theft, 300 Poydras, 11:27 p.m.
Theft, 441 Bourbon, 12:50 p.m.
Auto Theft, 900 Conti, 3:37 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1029 Bienville, 3:24 a.m.
Theft, 511 Bourbon, 4:21 a.m.
Auto Theft, Camp & Poydras, 10:27 a.m.
Auto Theft, Decatur & St Peter, 11:19 a.m.
Shoplifting, 301 Canal, 2:14 p.m.
Aggravated Assault, 500 Gravier, 3:21 p.m.
Aggravated Battery, 400 Bourbon, 8:19 p.m.
Theft, 1001 S Peters, 9:26 p.m.