Robbers redux: Just when you think it's safe to go out again because you've heard of few robberies and only a little mayhem, the bad guys come back out with a vengeance. One weekend over 500,000 people crowd into the neighborhood for the French Quarter Festival and crime is as tame as anyone can remember. One weekend later after the throngs leave, the crooks return.
- Monday (4.11.10) 11:19 p.m.: A 27-year-old white man walking in the 900 block of St. Peter Street (between Dauphine and Burgundy streets) was accosted by a black dude who grabbed his camera from his hand and fled on foot, turning on Burgundy toward Canal Street.
- Wednesday (4.13.10) 12:14 a.m.: A 31-year-old white guy working in Deja Vu Showgirls, 226 Bourbon St., was confronted by a white male customer who pulled a gun on him. The victim and other employees struggled with the suspect.
- Thursday (4.14.10) 8:45 p.m.: A 59-year-old white man was walking in the 900 block of Canal Street (between Dauphine and Burgundy streets) when a white bum asked him for money. He refused and the bum struck him, knocking him to the ground. The suspect took money from the victim's pocket and ran off.
- Friday (4.15.10) 1:43 a.m.: Two black ladies, one 28, the other 29, were getting into their car in the 200 block of Julia Street in the CBD when a black dude pulled a pistol on them and demanded their purses. He fled on foot toward the river.
- Friday (4.15.10) 2:30 a.m.: Less than an hour later, a robber fitting the same description of the one in the CBD struck in the French Quarter at Dauphine and St. Ann streets. There a 28-year-old white man had what he believed was a gun stuck in his back by a black thug who demanded the victim's wallet and iPhone.
- Friday (4.15.10) 6:13 a.m.: An athletic 20-year-old white fella walking in the 100 block of Bourbon Street, just off Canal Street, had his wallet grabbed out of his hand by a black hoodlum. The victim pursued the thief into the 900 block of Bienville Street, about 3 blocks away.
- Saturday (4.16.10) 2:40 a.m.: A 30-year-old white woman had her purse snatched at Royal and St. Peter streets by a black punk who fled on foot down Royal toward Esplanade Avenue.
- Saturday (4.16.10) 3:44 a.m.: About an hour later, a 22-year-old white woman had her purse snatched by a black guy on Bourbon Street between Conti and St. Louis streets.
- Saturday (4.16.10) 5:26 a.m.: A 42-year-old black dude was standing next to his car which was idling in the 400 block of Royal Street between Conti and St. Louis streets when 2 black chicks came up. An argument began and one of the ladies pulled a knife and cut the man twice in his lower abdomen. She and her female friend hopped in the victim's vehicle and fled on Conti--right past the 8th District headquarters--toward the river. No word on why they're not being sought for auto theft.
- Sunday (4.17.10) 10:15 p.m.: A 32-year-old white man riding his bicycle in the 1800 block of N. Rampart Street (between Pauger and St. Anthony streets in the Marigny Triangle) was held up at gunpoint by a black thug who demanded his backpack. The victim complied and the robber ordered him to flee on foot.
- Tuesday (4.19.10) 5:30 a.m.: A 33-year-old white man exiting The Alibi bar, 811 Iberville St., was jumped from behind by a black guy who knocked him to the ground and stole his wallet from his pocket. The victim was unable to give a detailed description of the robber.
- No less than 11 cars stolen, most in the French Quarter, 2 on one night from Esplanade Avenue and Royal Street;
- 13 cars broken into, most in the CBD.
Theft, 400 Bourbon, 9:35 a.m.
Shoplifting, 333 Chartres, 9:46 a.m.
Theft, 221 Carondelet, 10:11 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 420 N Rampart, 10:26 a.m.
Auto Theft, Carondelet & Girod, 3:23 p.m.
Shoplifting, 301 Canal, 5:11 p.m.
Pursesnatching, 401 Bourbon, 11:38 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 519 Dauphine, 7:10 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 701 Convention Center, 8:19 a.m.
Auto Theft, 800 Ursulines, 11:19 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 835 Julia, 11:54 a.m.
Auto Theft, 1001 S Peters, 12:05 p.m.
Simple Burglary, 204 S Saratoga, 4:37 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 900 St Peter, 11:19 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 812 Frenchmen, 9:31 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 518 Dauphine, 5:39 a.m.
Residence Burglary, 1000 block of St Anthony, 10:55 a.m.
Theft, 622 Canal, 12:36 p.m.
Auto Theft, Esplanade & Royal, 12:58 p.m.
Theft, 717 Canal, 3:17 p.m.
Auto Theft, Esplanade & Royal, 3:44 p.m.
Theft, 555 Canal, 1:01 p.m.
Theft, 700 Tchoupitoulas, 2:52 p.m.
Theft, 732 Toulouse, 3:31 p.m.
Shoplifting, 600 Decatur, 4:11 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 606 Frenchmen, 7:26 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 900 Canal, 8:45 p.m.
Auto Theft, Canal & University, 12:45 a.m.
Armed Robbery, 200 Julia, 1:43 a.m.
Theft, 800 Fulton, 4:32 a.m.
Simple Robbery, 100 Bourbon, 6:13 a.m.
Armed Robbery, Dauphine & St Ann, 8:52 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 500 Dumaine, 9:45 a.m.
Auto Theft, 501 Tchoupitoulas, 11:01 a.m.
Bicycle Theft, Esplanade & Frenchmen, 1:42 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 228 Poydras, 3:07 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 8 Canal, 3:53 p.m.
Theft, 301 Dauphine, 4:39 p.m.
Pursesnatching, Royal & St Peter, 2:40 a.m.
Business Burglary, 1025 Bienville, 2:48 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 600 Decatur, 3:02 a.m.
Simple Robbery, 400 Bourbon, 3:44 a.m.
Theft, 1501 Girod, 4:39 a.m.
Aggravated Battery, 400 Royal, 5:26 a.m.
Theft, 200 Carondelet, 6:31 a.m.
Bicycle Theft, Decatur & Wilkinson, 1:20 p.m.
Auto Theft, 300 Bourbon, 1:40 p.m.
Shoplifting, 301 Canal, 4:34 p.m.
Auto Theft, 1000 Canal, 7:39 p.m.