Well, actually it's "toot-toot" in the old zydeco song (though "tutu" in some) sung by Fats Domino and others (and refers to something entirely different), but it might well apply to the hubbub over the revenooers and cop who closed down the costume bazaar at the Blue Nile on Sunday (2.27.11).
If the NOPD really wanted to make an impact on the quality of life in the French Quarter and Frenchmen Street, they could have used the manpower to write puppy poop tickets following the Barkus Parade, or to apprehend those with glass bottles strolling the streets, or bars that barred non-patrons from their restrooms (if they even had one).
Speaking of a life of crime: So often you hear that the culprit was a "juvenile" (a kid under the age of 17) and that police have turned him over to juvenile authorities; you never see his mugshot or learn his fate in juvenile court. It's easy to think of him as a "misguided youth who just didn't know any better."
- 3 counts of 2nd-degree murder;
- 5 counts of attempted 2nd-degree murder;
- 2 counts of aggravated rape;
- 3 counts of 2nd-degree kidnapping;
- 5 counts of aggravated burglary (think home invasion);
- 1 counts of attempted armed robbery.
Wild women still on the loose: And I mean that in all senses of the term. The "girls gone wild" who've been terrorizing willing victims among touring men in their hotel rooms still have not been corralled--or at least the NOPD hasn't announced it. So for Mardi Gras, guard your iPhones, wallets, and other private parts.
Now for the "minor" crimes: By comparison, these few crimes in the French Quarter seem like child's play (interesting connotation, considering the previous). All were on Sunday (2.27.11) except the last item:
- 5:53 a.m.: A 25-year-old white man was in the 700 block of Iberville Street (between Bourbon and Royal streets) when he noticed another white guy in a car pointing a gun at him.
- 4:04 a.m.: After a 30-year-old bouncer at the House of Blues 86'd a pair of Hispanic men from the music venue, they laid in wait for him. When he came out, the duo struck him in the forehead and right arm with what was believed to be a machete. They fled in a gray Nissan Titan pick-up truck. The bouncer was taken to Interim LSU Public Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening cuts.
- 3:37 a.m.: A 24-year-old white woman was in Razzoo Bar & Patio, 511 Bourbon St., when a black guy came up and started dancing with her. Then his true intentions became known: he tried removing money from her pocket.
- Friday (2.25.11) 8:45 p.m.: A 27-year-old white woman was walking with a friend in the 700 block of Canal Street (near the McDonald's) when a black old man came up and pushed her and tried to take her wallet from her back pocket. Her friend tried to intervene and was pushed also.
Crimes last week in the 8th District
(Click on the crime map to enlarge it)
Auto Burglary, Burgundy & Conti, 7:55 a.m.
Auto Burglary, Conti & N Rampart, 9:40 a.m.
Theft, 1201 Convention Center, 9:59 a.m.
Pickpocket, Royal & Toulouse, 10:45 a.m.
Pickpocket, Royal & Toulouse, 11:50 a.m.
Auto Theft, 700 Iberville, 12:34 p.m.
Simple Robbery, 100 block of Royal, 1:30 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1011 Conti, 5:04 p.m.
Auto Theft, Burgundy & Toulouse, 11:49 a.m.
Simple Robbery, Lafayette & Tchoupitoulas, 8:53 p.m.
Simple Robbery, Bourbon & St Ann, 10:38 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 101 Burgundy, 8:48 a.m.
Auto Theft, Bienville & N Rampart, 9:18 a.m.
Auto Theft, Frenchmen & Royal, 3:56 p.m.
Attempted Armed Robbery, Bourbon & St Philip, 6:23 p.m.
Auto Burglary, Andrew Higgins & Constance, 8:06 a.m.
Theft, 85 French Market , 11:12 a.m.
Auto Theft, Iberville & Royal, 3:51 p.m.
Theft, 620 Decatur, 6:11 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1008 N Peters, 7:54 p.m.
Theft, Elysian Fields & St Claude, 5:02 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 135 St Charles, 8:29 a.m.
Auto Theft, 1000 Esplanade, 10:47 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 400 Elysian Fields, 2:31 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 900 St Philip, 5:28 p.m.
Auto Theft, Chartres & Toulouse, 7:27 p.m.
Attempted Simple Robbery, 700 Canal, 8:54 p.m.
Auto Theft, 1306 Royal, 7:39 a.m.
Auto Theft, 924 Elysian Fields, 10:54 a.m.
Shoplifting, 713 Bienville, 6:17 p.m.
Theft, 511 Bourbon, 8:36 p.m.
Pickpocketing, Canal & Chartres, 9:22 p.m.