Is he the one, or two?: 8th District detectives and members of the NOPD's Special Operations Division swooped down on Byron Verrett at his home in the notorious St. Claude neighborhood last Friday (1.21.11) around 1 a.m. and charged him with one of the many robberies that plagued the fringes of the French Quarter a couple of weeks ago.
The robberies Verrett is charged for so far:
- 900 block of Esplanade Avenue: Around 9 p.m. 1.13.11, a black guy on a bicycle rode up on a bicycle behind a 27-year-old white woman, pulled a gun and demanded her purse.
- 1400 block of Chartres Street: A white couple, 27 and 23, were walking on the street around 8 p.m. 1.16.11 when an armed black dude came up behind them on a bicycle and demanded their money.
So who are these guys?: A 14-year-old black boy walking in the 300 block of Burgundy Street (between Conti and St. Louis streets) on Sunday (1.23.11) around 3:45 p.m. was robbed by 2 bigger black boys on bicycles who rode up, knocked him to the ground, and took money from his pockets.
Picture this: Then there's the dummy with a cellphone, not paying attention to her surroundings. A 31-year-old white woman standing near the intersection of Bourbon and St. Peter streets on Tuesday (1.25.11) around 11:30 p.m. and taking a picture with her iPhone when a black boy comes up and steals it from her grasp.
- Wednesday (1.26.11) 6 p.m.: Another telephone talker, a 32-year-old white man walking and talking in the 400 block of Julia Street, was robbed of his iPhone by a black thug.
- Tuesday (1.25.11) 3:15 p.m.: An 85-year-old white matron was apparently having such a good time in Harrah's Casino that it didn't faze her when some guy came up and grabbed her money out of her hand and fled.
Ryan M. Clark, 19, was charged with aggravated battery and a felony hate crime after being returned from Florida after surrendering on the charges 3 weeks ago. After a tip to CrimeStoppers led police to Clark in Plant City, FL, 8th District Det. Michael Flores called Clark on his cellphone and convinced him to turn himself in to police there.
More fussing and fighting: A homeless man in a wheelchair--seeking shelter rather than food--allegedly stabbed the manager of the Bourbon House restaurant at Bourbon and Iberville streets when the manager tried to help him negotiate the revolving door after he was asked to leave.
- Tuesday (1.25.11) 7 p.m.: A white guy standing in the 600 block of Chartres Street (between Toulouse and St. Peter streets) was approached by a friend of his who pulled a gun on him before fleeing on foot.
- Sunday (1.23.11) 1:57 a.m.: An altercation between bouncers and several patrons at Fat Catz Music Club, 440 Bourbon St., that spilled out into the street, ended with the arrest of Jason Broome, 23, who was charged with aggravated battery for allegedly hitting a bouncer in the face with a beer bottle.
- Saturday (1.22.11) 9:30 p.m.: A white guy was walking in the 200 block of Bourbon Street (between Iberville and Bienville streets) when a young chick asked him for directions. Before he knew what happened, he was attacked from behind by an Hispanic dude who pulled a boxcutter and cut the victim in the abdomen.
Crimes last week in the 8th District
(Click on the crime map to enlarge it)
Rape, 334 Royal, 4:39 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 700 Frenchmen, 5:47 a.m.
Auto Burglary, Cleveland & Elk, 7:45 a.m.
Shoplifting, 134 Royal, 12:25 p.m.
Armed Robbery, 1400 Chartres, 8:01 p.m.
Armed Robbery, 1000 Frenchmen, 8:12 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 100 Elk, 5:16 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 275 La Salle , 6:01 p.m.
Theft, 700 Frenchmen, 9:26 a.m.
Theft, 124 Royal, 11:52 a.m.
Bicycle Theft, 725 Dumaine, 1:20 p.m.
Theft, 315 Julia, 3:04 p.m.
Auto Theft, 908 St Peter, 4:44 p.m.
Theft, 900 Poydras, 7:04 p.m.
Shoplifting, 507 Decatur, 8:35 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, 500 Magazine, 7:25 a.m.
Auto Burglary, Chartres & Kerlerec, 8:04 a.m.
Auto Theft, John Churchill Chase & Tchoupitoulas, 8:48 a.m.
Auto Burglary, John Churchill Chase & Tchoupitoulas, 9:47 a.m.
Auto Theft, Bourbon & Gov Nicholls, 12:15 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 100 Gov Nicholls, 11:55 a.m.
Simple Robbery, 2000 Royal, 9:54 p.m.
Shoplifting, 444 Canal, 11:28 a.m.
Theft, 800 Iberville, 12:45 p.m.
Theft, 135 St Charles, 6:59 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, 523 Decatur, 7:14 p.m.