Fighting words: NOPD officers never quite know how to handle the culprits in a fight. For instance, this past week they were thrilled they finally arrested a suspect in a vicious attack on a 27-year-old local drunk at the Jax Brewery Bistro Bar.
Later it was revealed the victim was in the process of being 86'd from the bar's outdoor patio after he threw an empty beer bottle at a parked pick-up truck. While in the grasp of the bouncer, he bumped into another customer, spilling his drink. That customer, rather than saying "Whoa, dude", went ballistic on the drunk.
A police report was written, but strangely it took 7 weeks for the NOPD to release a picture of the alleged attacker from the bar's video surveillance--after the victim moaned that he'd been in a coma and treated for massive injuries that he couldn't pay for because he had no health insurance.
It took 10 days before the suspect was identified as Jason S. Lawrence, 23. He surrendered at Central Lock-Up on 12.14.11 and was charged with 2nd-degree battery; he was released the same day on $25,000 bond.
Ironically, later that same morning around 4:30 a.m. after the Jax brouhaha, Dr. Brent Hechfeld was found on the sidewalk at Dauphine and Dumaine streets bleeding profusely. Cops on the scene wrote it off as a "medical situation" and left without writing a report--until later when the victim died and the coroner called it a homicide.
Contrast all this with an incident a couple of years ago involving the son of the Gretna police chief who is an aide to a prominent Jefferson Parish councilman. In the wee hours of the morning on Canal Street, he round-housed on a 21-year-old guy from Texas who was annoying him and his friends, putting the victim in the hospital with a coma.
Hey taxi driver!: Yeah, I'm talking to you, scumbag. NOPD sex crimes detectives are looking for a Middle Eastern-looking driver for American Taxi who picked up an 18-year-old white girl early on the morning of 12.17.11 around 2:30 a.m. at 839 S. Peters St. in the Warehouse District and tried to rape her in the cab. She managed to escape from cab in the 9200 block of Airline Highway and sought help.
Not the only one: Another young white woman was the victim of an attempted rape a couple of days later. A 19-year-old woman was in a parking garage at 819 Iberville St. (between Bourbon and Dauphine streets) in the middle of the day 12.19.11 around 11:27 a.m. when she was attacked by a black punk. She suffered minor cuts in the attack, but she managed to fight him off and send him fleeing from the garage.
iPhones the root of all evil: Or maybe all robberies. For a while there it seemed like the bulk of the robberies were motivated by motor-mouths who didn't see the robbers coming. Many but not all robberies involving iPhones:
- Monday (12.5.11) 6:40 p.m.: A 54-year-old man was jabbering on his iPhone in the 600 block of Royal Street when a black guy ran up and grabbed the phone from his hand and kept on running to St. Peter Street where he turned toward N. Rampart Street.
- Friday (12.9.11) 6:30 p.m.: A white man (no age given) was standing in the 400 block of Royal Street using his iPhone when a black thug rode up on his bicycle and snatched the man's phone.
- Friday (12.9.11) 10:55 p.m.: A 48-year-old white lady arrived home at 724 Gov. Nicholls St. to be greeted in her courtyard by 3 black punks who demanded her iPhone, keys and purse. She gave up her purse and they fled.
- Sunday (12.11.11) 7:55 p.m.: A 52-year-old white man walking in the 200 block of Chartres Street had his iPhone snatched from his by a black boy who fled on foot. The victim chased down the robber and retrieved his phone and held the robber until police arrived.
- Wednesday (12.14.11) 1:15 a.m.: A 26-year-old white woman standing at Bourbon and St. Ann streets texting on her iPhone had it grabbed from her hand by a black boy who fled on Bourbon toward Dumaine Street.
- Wednesday (12.14.11) 3:35 p.m.: Two elderly Asian women, one 68, the other 71, were robbed of one of their purses when a gang of 2 black girls and 2 black boys coming from the opposite direction accosted them at Decatur and Dumaine streets.
- Sunday (12.17.11) 2:30 a.m.: A 30-year-old white woman was about to get in her car in the 800 block of St. Peter Street when a black thug grabbed her from behind and pulled her purse from her grasp before fleeing on foot toward Dauphine Street.
- Sunday (12.17.11) 3:00 a.m.: The 61-year-old proprietor of a Lucky Dog cart at Bourbon and Iberville streets was counting his money when a black punk came up and grabbed it from his hand before fleeing on Iberville toward the river.
- Sunday (12.18.11) 11:00 p.m.: A 57-year-old white man walking on Bourbon Street near Ursulines Street when a black thug blocked his path and then grabbed his wallet. The perp fled to a car at the corner and sped away.
- Friday (12.23.11) 7:10 p.m.: A 28-year-old Asian female was standing near Tchoupitoulas and Canal streets when a black crook swooped down on her and grabbed her iPhone out of her hand.
- Friday (12.23.11) 7:20 p.m.: A 30-year-old white woman walking and talking on Toulouse Street near Chartres Street had her iPhone swiped out of her hand by a 15-year-old black boy whom 8th District cops later caught.
- Sunday (12.25.11) 7:00 a.m.: A 39-year-old Asian woman had her iPhone stolen out of her hand by a black thug as she was walking near Conti and N. Rampart streets.
- Wednesday (12.28.11) 4:30 p.m.: An undercover 8th District cop dressed in plain clothes nabbed a 14-year-old black boy just minutes after the juvenile snatched an iPhone from the hands of a 58-year-old white man who was texting on the phone at Chartres and St. Louis streets.
- Wednesday (12.28.11) 5:25 p.m.: A 24-year-old white woman walking near Andrew Higgins Drive and Constance Street in the CBD was accosted by 2 black robbers who pushed her against the wall and demanded her money. She complied and they fled into a waiting car on Constance.
Other armed robberies:
- Friday (12.2.11) 9:05 p.m.: A 33-year-old white man returning home on Burgundy Street near St. Louis Street around 9:05 p.m. was set upon by a gang of 3 young punks, one of whom pulled a pistol and demanded the man's money.
- Saturday (12.3.11) 4:09 a.m.: A 31-year-old white man tourist walking near Dauphine and St. Louis streets on the way back to his hotel was robbed by a knife-wielding robber.
- Sunday (12.4.11) 1:10 p.m.: A black dude was standing near Poydras Street and Loyola Avenue when a guy he knew got out of a white Nissan sedan and demanded money while wielding a knife. The victim fled into traffic and his friend got back in the car and fled the area. A black chick with the would-be robber egged him on, but never got out of the car.
- Sunday (12.18.11) 5:58 a.m.: A black dude entered Poppy's Time Out Sports Bar, 1 Poydras St., pulled out a handgun and demanded cash from the safe. The 2 bartenders complied and the thief fled on foot through Spanish Plaza.
- Saturday (12.24.11) 11:30 p.m.: When a car driven by 2 Hispanic men, one 24 and the other 25, stopped at a red light in the 1200 block of Convention Center Boulevard, 2 armed black guys came up and demanded their money. They complied and the robbers fled on foot.
- Tuesday (12.27.11) 9:05 p.m.: A 29-year-old white man walking in the 1400 block of Dauphine street near Esplanade Avenue was accosted by a gang of 3 blacks--perhaps the same one who's been terrorizing the Marigny in the last few days. Two of them produced handguns and demanded his money; he complied and they fled on foot.
Chapman is in OPP on $5,000 bond.
Where's Narkee Hunter?: Narkee Hunter, who achieved near-legendary stature for beating a murder rap for a shooting in 2008 at Club Hush--the name then for the notorious club at 300 Decatur St.