Rash of robberies: A black bandit on a bicycle pulled off at least 4--and maybe more--robberies within minutes of each other around 8 p.m. Sunday (1.16.11) in the Marigny Triangle & Rectangle.
Here's what went down:
- 8:00 p.m.: A white couple, he 27 and she 23, were walking on Chartres Street between Esplanade Avenue and Kerlerec Street when the robber swooped down from behind on his bicycle and pulled a pistol, demanding their money. They complied and the robber rode off on Chartres toward Kerlerec.
- 8:10 p.m.: A 31-year-old white woman walking on Frenchmen Street near St. Claude Avenue was held up by a black robber with a pistol riding a bicycle while she blabbed on her cellphone. He demanded her purse and she threw it down and started screaming; he picked it up and fled on Frenchmen toward Burgundy Street.
- 8:23 p.m.: A 24-year-old white woman was walking to a lounge near Dauphine and Marigny streets in the 5th District when a black dude on a bicycle rode past her, then circled around and came back. He pulled a gun and demanded her purse, then fled.
- Others in the 5th District: Though the NOPD 5th District's crime map for 1.18.11 shows 3 armed robberies in the same neighborhood occurring after 1.16.11, sloppy reporting by cops in that district (lack of time, dates, victims' sex and age, etc.) make it impossible to determine who did what to whom when.
- Earlier in the week: A 27-year-old white woman was walking on Esplanade Avenue (between Dauphine and Burgundy streets) on Thursday (1.13.11) around 8:30 p.m. when a black guy fitting the description the robber in the Sunday night incidents rode up on a bicycle and demanded her purse. He fled on Burgundy toward Kerlerec Street.
And others: Not all robberies last week fit the "bike bandit" MO. Here's what else went down:
- Wednesday (1.12.11) 7:40 p.m.: A 21-year-old white guy walking in the 1600 block of Pauger Street (between Burgundy and N. Rampart streets) was robbed at gunpoint of his wallet and cellphone by 2 black punks who then fled on foot.
- Sunday (1.9.11) 5:30 a.m.: A 45-year-old white man was walking in the 500 block of Tchoupitoulas Street (between Poydras and Lafayette streets) when a dark-colored SUV pulled alongside of him. The driver, a black female, called the victim over to ask for directions. When the victim walked over to the SUV, a black guy got out of the back seat and grabbed the victim's wallet.
Sad anniversary: Ever wonder what happened to the killers of beloved French Quarter bartender Wendy Byrne? Last Monday (1.17.11) was the 2-year anniversary of when she was slain at Dauphine and Gov. Nicholls streets.
Crimes last week in the 8th District
(Click on the crime map to enlarge it)
Simple Robbery, 535 Tchoupitoulas, 5:32 a.m.
Theft, 124 Royal, 9:17 a.m.
Theft, 859 Convention Center, 11:44 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 2100 N Peters, 4:50 p.m.
Bicycle Theft, Chartres & Iberville, 8:24 a.m.
Auto Theft, 100 Bourbon, 10:51 a.m.
Simple Burglary, 620 Decatur, 11:05 a.m.
Shoplifting, 414 N Peters, 1:13 p.m.
Theft, 240 Decatur, 1:49 p.m.
Theft, 301 Dauphine, 6:06 a.m.
Theft, 301 Dauphine, 7:52 a.m.
Theft, 705 Camp, 6:03 p.m.
Armed Robbery, 900 Esplanade, 8:57 p.m.
Business Burglary, 735 St Louis, 2:50 p.m.