Once again: For the second week out of 3, there were NO robberies in the French Quarter from 11.28.10 to 12.4.10. There have been a few since then, but it's downright miraculous based on years past:
- Thursday (12.16.10) 6:40 p.m.: A 43-year-old white man walking in the 800 block of St. Louis Street (between Bourbon and Dauphine streets)--just a block from where a bar was robbed the night before--was robbed at gunpoint by 2 black thugs whose descriptions sound an awfully lot like the bar robbers.
- Wednesday (12.15.10) 4:30 a.m.: 2 black hoodlums burst into the Double Play bar, 439 Dauphine St. (corner of St. Louis Street) and one pulled a pistol and demanded money. The bartender complied and the duo fled on foot on St. Louis toward N. Rampart Street, just as the robbers the next night on St. Louis did.
- Saturday (12.11.10) 4:25 a.m.: 2 white women, one 20, the other 22, were accosted by a black guy while walking near Camp and Common streets in the CBD. The robber grabbed one of the women's purses and snatched the wallet from the other victim's purse.
- Saturday (12.11.10) 1:00 a.m.: A 25-year-old white woman walking in Jackson Square had her purse snatched by a black guy.
- Thursday (12.9.10) 11:00 p.m.: A woman showed up at the 8th District Station on Royal Street to report she had been robbed by a cabbie. She said she had flagged down a taxi somewhere along Bourbon Street (she didn't know where) and during the ride to her destination the cabbie grabbed her by the neck and demanded her purse, after which she was able to flee the cab.
- Tuesday (12.7.10) 9:20 a.m.: Franklin Frazier, 42, was arrested by 8th District officers shortly after he went into the Hibernia Homestead Bank, 325 Carondelet St., and demanded that the teller give him U.S. Savings Bonds. Told that the bank, by its nature, didn't sell bonds, Frazier fled in consternation.
- Sunday (12.12.10) 1:45 a.m.: An 18-year-old white guy and 2 of his buddies were walking in the 100 block of Royal Street (just off Canal Street) when another white dude came up and began taunting one of his friends. When he stepped in to tell the intruder to leave his friend alone, he was stabbed with a knife in the lower right abdomen by the thug.
The perp is described as 5'7" tall, weighing 220 pounds, with a heavy build and a reddish brown beard. He was wearing a purple LSU knit hat, a black zip-up hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and several strands of Mardi Gras beads. (Pictured at right)
- Friday (12.10.10) 6:30 p.m.: A 23-year-old white guy standing inside the Cat's Meow, 701 Bourbon St., got into an argument with another white dude who left the club and brought back another buddy who struck the first guy in the head with a beer bottle.
- Wednesday (12.8.10) 9:30 p.m.: When a bouncer at the Bourbon Street Blues Co., 441 Bourbon St., tried to turn away a black guy who'd been 86'd from the club, he was met with a barrage of expletives and attacked with a knife.
When an irate NOcrimeline reader chastised District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro's office with an email imploring "DO YOUR JOB", the DA's flak responded, saying our information was wrong, the DA was prosecuting Cameron for aggravated battery and he would be arraigned in Criminal District Court on Tuesday (12.14.10).
Jeremy allegedly bit the ear off the 33-year-old bouncer at the club and was charged with aggravated battery.
Another gun gone: 8th District officers took another renegade gun off the streets a couple of weeks ago when they saw Anthony Bailey, 31, in an argument with a woman at the corner of Camp and Canal streets.
When they stopped to investigate and patted down Bailey, they found on him a .40-caliber Glock 27 semi-automatic handgun. They charged him with illegal possession of a firearm. He got out of Central Lockk-up on $7,500 bond.
Crimes last week in the 8th District
(Click on the crime map to enlarge it)
Auto Burglary, 8 Canal, 10:11 a.m.
Shoplifting, 323 Chartres, 10:45 a.m.
Shoplifting, 839 Decatur, 3:21 p.m.
Theft, 632 Frenchmen, 3:52 p.m.
Pickpocketing, Dauphine & St Peter, 5:37 p.m.
Theft, 800 Bourbon, 7:43 p.m.
Theft, 423 Bourbon, 3:06 a.m.
Armed Robbery, 325 Carondelet, 10:01 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 1300 Gravier, 12:09 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 365 Canal, 3:09 p.m.
Shoplifting, 41 French Market Pl, 5:35 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1000 St. Louis, 6:05 p.m.
Auto Theft, Bourbon & Esplanade, 10:40 p.m.
Theft, 333 Canal St., 11:54 a.m.
Shoplifting, 232 Bourbon St., 2:41 p.m.
Aggravated Assault, 441 Bourbon St., 9:51 p.m.
Shoplifting, 300 Canal, 4:12 p.m.
Theft, 345 St Joseph, 9:49 a.m.
Theft, 365 Canal, 9:50 a.m.
Aggravated Battery, 701 Bourbon, 6:04 p.m.
Pursesnatching, Camp & Common, 4:23 a.m.
Auto Theft, Chartres & Ursulines, 9:00 a.m.
Auto Theft, Girod & LaSalle, 9:41 a.m. Theft, 344 Camp, 10:04 a.m.
Pickpocketing, 511 Bourbon, 10:16 a.m.
Auto Theft, 633 Tchoupitoulas, 10:59 a.m.
Theft, 820 N Rampart, 12:31 p.m.
Residence Burglary, 800 Elysian Fields, 4:22 p.m.
Shoplifting, 1124 Decatur, 5:40 p.m.