- a domestic dispute (which doesn't pose a threat to anyone else),
- a drunken woman rendering herself easy prey to a new acquaintance (which may or may not involve other women), or
- women being randomly stalked by a serial rapist (which is extremely alarming).
- Sunday (10.10.10): It's hard to know if one or two rapes happened. The 8th District's crime map showed a rape had occurred at 1 p.m. at 632 Frenchmen St. and the district's list of crimes showed a rape at the identical date and time at 623 Canal St. Was it 2 crimes or just what was the confusion?
- Friday (10.22.10): The 8th District crime map shows 2 rapes, one at 9:06 a.m. in the 1100 block of Burgundy Street (between Ursulines Avenue and Gov. Nicholls Street) and the other at 12:07 p.m. at 555 Canal St., which is the Marriott Hotel.
The other case, at the Marriott, involved a stripper who was partying with 4 men. She had consensual sex with one of them and then fell asleep in the bed with all of them. She thinks she may have had sex with another one of them while she was sleeping. Police are still interrogating the men and investigating the incident.
Robberies return: Just when you think you might get through a week with only a few robberies, those hopes are dashed:
- Tuesday (10.26.10) 2:45 a.m.: A 59-year-old black man waiting at the streetcar stop in the 700 block of Canal Street got into an argument with another black guy, guessed to be a few years younger.
- Saturday (10.23.10) 6:30 p.m.: An 18-year-old white teenager was accosted near Baronne and Canal streets by 2 black teenagers, who demanded money his money. The victim did not report the incident immediately, but when he later spied the duo again he notified police.
- Saturday (10.23.10) 5:35 p.m.: A 26-year-old white man walking in the 200 block of O'Keefe Avenue in the CBD was accosted by a gang of 4 black men who grabbed him and snatched his wallet.
- Friday (10.22.10) 1:10 a.m.: A man who had just left the Blue Nile nightclub on Frenchmen Street was walking up Decatur Street to where his car was parked just the other side of Elysian Fields Avenue. He noticed a black dude walking down the middle of the street as he unlocked his car with the remote. The black guy pulled a dark-colored semi-automatic pistol and demanded the owner's car keys. The victim gave them up and the thief fled north on Elysian Fields.
- Friday (10.22.10) 11:00 p.m.: A 52-year-old white man walking in the 700 block of St. Louis Street (between Royal and Bourbon streets) was attacked by 2 black thugs. One struck him and the other pulled a pistol, demanding the victim's money before fleeing on foot toward the river.
- Thursday (10.21.10) 2:10 a.m.: A 38-year-old white woman walking with a female friend in the 800 block of Orleans Avenue (between Bourbon and Dauphine streets) had her purse snatched by a black thief who fled on foot up Dauphine.
- Wednesday (10.20.10) 3:30 p.m.: A 36-year-old white woman was in Washington Square Park when 2 black boys rode up on their bicycles and one of them grabbed her cellphone before fleeing down Elysian Fields Avenue.
Cleaning house: An 8th District cop was one of 3 Chief Serpas made an example of Wednesday (10.27.10) when he booted them off the NOPD.
* * *
Crimes last week in the 8th District
(Click on the crime map to enlarge it)
Auto Burglary, 721 St Charles, 1:59 p.m.
Shoplifting, 106 Royal, 5:35 p.m.
Auto Theft, 100 Camp, 11:06 p.m.
Auto Theft, Girod & Loyola, 3:13 p.m.
Simple Robbery, Dauphine & St Louis, 11:59 p.m.
Auto Theft, 2 Poydras, 1:36 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 1000 Iberville, 10:12 a.m.
Simple Robbery, 750 Elysian Fields, 3:28 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 300 S Peters, 3:13 a.m.
Rape, 1100 Burgundy, 9:06 a.m.
Rape, 555 Canal, 12:07 p.m.
Auto Theft, 1029 Bienville, 3:42 p.m.
Auto Theft, 800 Camp, 12:43 a.m.
Simple Robbery, 200 O'Keefe, 5:38 a.m.
Theft, Bienville & Bourbon, 6:58 a.m.
Bicycle Theft, 1400 Tulane, 2:35 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 100 Bourbon, 4:35 p.m.
Theft, 482 N Peters, 6:19 p.m.
Simple Robbery, Baronne & Canal, 8:27 p.m.
Shoplifting, 710 Canal, 11:45 p.m.