Suspected cop killer sought: The NOPD homicide division has identified 20-year-old Joshua Louis Miner as the prime suspect in the murder of Gretna police officer Brett Thomas on 6.27.10 in the French Quarter.
No holiday here: You'd think that maybe out of deference to the Katrina commemorations or even the anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech, robbers and other various wrongdoers would take a break and reflect. But no, it was more like they were saying, "I have a gun..." And here's what they did with it on Sunday (8.29.10), the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina:
- 2:20 a.m.: A Hispanic couple, he 43 and she 36, were accosted by a bi-racial duo of thugs who proceeded to rob them in the 900 block of Orleans Avenue (between Dauphine and Burgundy streets). A black man stuck something that felt like a gun in the male victim's back while his white accomplice demanded money from the female victim. The victim's complied and the thugs took off on foot on Orleans to Burgundy, turning toward St. Ann Street.
- 3:17 a.m.: A waitress walking home from her job in the French Quarter was robbed by 2 black punks armed with handguns who pursued her in the 1900 block of Conti Street in Treme. They fled in a dark green car after lifting 4 or 5 dollars from her, plus her cellphone and debit card.
- 4:40 a.m.: A 26-year-old white woman had her pursesnatched from her shoulder near Exchange Place and Canal Street by a black guy who then fled across Canal and up Carondelet Street.
- 8:11 p.m.: A black dude tried to rob a 49-year-old white woman in the 2100 block of N. Rampart Street (between Frenchmen Street and Elysian Fields Avenue). He pulled a pistol and demanded her money, but when she resisted he clobbered her in the head with the gun, causing a small laceration.
Oh, boy, oh, boy: A 22-year-old white guy out on the town at 3 a.m. last Tuesday (8.24.10) when 2 young black chicks in tight white tanktops joined up with him as he walked near Chartres and St. Peter streets. Soon a black SUV with another black chic driving pulled along side the trio. They got in the vehicle and that's when the white boy noticed the black dude sitting in the back. It wasn't long before the black dude demanded the young fella's wallet. He took some--but not all--the cash from it and handed it back to the victim, who was then dropped off at an unknown location.
Rapists on the run: Pictures have been posted of 2 suspected rapists that may be roaming the area.
- Early Saturday morning (8.28.10) an adult female was sexually assaulted at Mandeville and Decatur streets in the Faubourg Marigny.
- In another case, the FBI is trying to locate Anthony Wayne O'Neal, 39, who is wanted for murder and rape in Texas. He stole the rape victim's car, which was recovered in Rayne, LA, last Monday (8.23.10).
Aggravated Assault, Magazine & St Joseph, 1:14 a.m.
Theft, 1001 S Peters, 11:18 a.m.
Auto Theft, 333 St Charles, 11:20 a.m.
Bicycle Theft, 222 N Rampart, 4:43 p.m.
Theft, 2 Poydras, 2:39 a.m.
Auto Theft, 100 Tchoupitoulas, 11:58 a.m.
Theft, 333 O'Keefe, 2:31 p.m.
Auto Theft, 600 Constance, 2:56 p.m.
Residence Burglary, 900 block of Esplanade, 4:32 p.m.
Theft, O'Keefe & Poydras, 9:23 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 500 Burgundy, 10:34 p.m.
Auto Burglary, 400 Barracks, 10:03 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 124 Royal, 10:44 a.m.
Theft, 137 Royal, 3:08 p.m.
Theft, 135 St Charles, 4:23 p.m.
Shoplifting, 717 Canal, 8:04 p.m.
Theft, 333 Poydras, 9:38 p.m.
Auto Theft, Baronne & Poydras, 12:33 p.m.
Auto Theft, Bienville & Burgundy, 5:53 a.m.
Auto Theft, Dauphine & Toulouse, 10:03 a.m.
Auto Theft, 938 Lafayette, 12:09 p.m.
Theft, 500 Chartres, 8:06 p.m.
Pickpocketing, 1500 Poydras, 9:13 p.m.
Auto Theft, Andrew Higgins & Tchoupitoulas, 10:01 p.m.
Aggravated Battery, 852 S Peters, 2:40 a.m.
Theft, 440 Bourbon, 3:35 a.m.
Auto Theft, 200 Burgundy, 7:20 a.m.
Auto Theft, 500 Tchoupitoulas, 8:10 a.m.
Theft, 200 Poydras, 9:23 a.m.
Auto Burglary, 700 Esplanade, 2:12 p.m.
Auto Theft, Baronne & Perdido, 3:29 p.m.