It's terrible to get so jaded that another robbery elicits only a ho-hum. The good news is that there have been only 9 of them reported in the last 2 weeks, only 4 of them armed. (Remember when there was at least one a day, and seemed more like 2 or 3?) The bad news is that there was only one arrest for robbery in the past 2 weeks--so the bad guys are still out there lurking. You have to keep your guard up.
- Tuesday (4.20.10) 12:37 a.m.: A white guy walking in the 1000 block of Touro Street (between N. Rampart Street and St. Claude Avenue) escaped being robbed when he took off running after being accosted by a black thug brandishing a brick, demanding his money. The victim refused and the would-be robber swung the brick but missed the victim.
- Sunday (4.11.10) 1:10 a.m.: 2 couples (2 men, 2 women) were walking in the 1000 block of Ursulines Avenue (between Burgundy and N. Rampart streets) were robbed by 2 black dudes armed with pistols.
- Wednesday (4.7.10) 3:10 a.m.: A couple walking in the 900 block of Royal Street (between Dumaine and St. Philip streets) was robbed by a black thug with a pistol.
- Tuesday (4.6.10) 11:40 p.m.: A white guy walking in the 1000 block of St. Philip Street (between Burgundy and N. Rampart streets) was robbed of his wallet and cellphone by a black guy wielding a pistol.
Simple robberies and pursesnatchings:
- Friday (4.16.10) 9:04 p.m.: It's not known yet if this is the notorious bike bandit who's been swooping past women and snatching their purses for the last month or so, but 8th District cops arrested Craig Hayes, 19, after a white woman was robbed in the 900 block of Royal Street (between Dumaine and St. Philip streets) by a black guy on a bicycle who grabbed her purse from her shoulder and fled to St. Ann Street and turned toward Bourbon Street.
- Thursday (4.15.10) 11:30 a.m.: A white man walking in the 600 block of Loyola Avenue (near Girod Street) was robbed in broad daylight by a black punk who grabbed the wallet from his hand and then fled on foot toward Howard Avenue.
- Wednesday (4.14.10) 10:58 p.m.: A white woman walking in the 1400 block of Bourbon Street (just across Esplanade Avenue in the Marigny Triangle) had her purse snatched from her by a black creep who fled in a white Ford Explorer toward Elysian Fields Avenue.
- Monday (4.12.10) 3:24 a.m.: A white woman walking in the 300 block of Carondelet Street in the CBD (for crying out loud: take a cab into that neighborhood at that hour!) was robbed of her cellphone (wanna bet she was yakking on it and didn't even notice her assailants approaching?) by 2 black dudes who fled on foot.
- Saturday (4.10.10) 1:55 a.m.: A white woman walking near Bourbon and St. Louis streets had her cellphone grabbed out of her hand (again: yackitty-yack) by a black thug who fled on food on St. Louis, turning on Dauphine Street toward Conti Street.
Watch your purses: You don't have to be out on the streets to have your purse stolen. It happened to 2 women last Friday (4.16.10) night at Snug Harbor on Frenchmen Street.