What's with that?: Why all that fuss by Big Chief Warren Riley over a drunken rich tourist who trespassed his way to death?
(No such effort was made a couple of years ago when a 28-year-old father of 3 from Dallas went missing--also from Razzoo's--on Mardi Gras night. In that case, relatives told NOcrimeline that they couldn't get any information from the NOPD on their search, until finally the guy's body was found 6 weeks later submerged in his SUV in a Metairie canal.)
Rape?: Like all rapes reported in New Orleans, facts are few. The only fact is it allegedly happened after 3 a.m. Sunday (3.7.10)--to an unnamed woman of untold age at an unknown location after leaving an unidentified "establishment" on Bourbon Street.
Graffiti suspects?: Sometimes surveillance videos are not all they're cracked up to be. The 8th District sent out a grainy photo of a couple of boys supposedly responsible for graffiti in the French Quarter (and who wouldn't like to see those punks brought to justice).
Once he did that, we could at least tell it was a couple of white boys wearing gray hoodies with some illegible insignias on the front.
(A couple of days after we posted this, a reader sent us a much sharper image of the original picture--and correctly reversed so you can read the writing on the suspects' hoodies. One says "Akomkas" --whatever that means-- and the other reads "Billabong." The picture was from a video surveillance tape captured on 1.15.10 in the 500 block of Burgundy Street.)
- Friday (3.5.10) 7:24 p.m.: A white woman walking in the 900 block of Chartres Street (between St. Philip and Dumaine streets) had her purse snatched by a black boy who rode by on a dark-colored bicycle.
- Saturday (3.6.10) 1:41 a.m.: 5 white men walking in the 1200 block of Bourbon Street (between Gov. Nicholls and Barracks streets) were held up at gunpoint by a pistol-wielding black thug, who took their money and fled on foot down Barracks toward N. Rampart Street.
- Sunday (3.7.10) 3:40 a.m.: A white woman walking near Royal and St. Philip streets was accosted by 2 black thugs, one of whom grabbed her purse before they fled on foot on Chartres Street, turning toward Canal Street.
- Sunday (3.7.10) 4:15 a.m.: 2 white guys walking near Bourbon and St. Philip streets were attacked by a gang of 3 black punks who hit them and demanded their money. The robbers fled on foot up St. Philip toward N. Rampart Street.
- Sunday (3.7.10) 11:30 p.m.: A white woman walking in the 1200 block of Chartres Street (between Gov. Nicholls and Barracks streets) had her purse stolen by a black dude who swooped down on a silver-colored bicycle and then fled up Chartres toward Canal Street.
- Tuesday (3.9.10) 7:10 p.m.: A white woman walking in the 300 block of S. Rampart Street (by Union Street) was robbed of her purse by a black guy riding a small bicycle.
Just so crazy it might work: A NOcrimeline reader, who bills himself as "Postal Pete", has what he thinks is a solution to the rash of recent iPhone robberies: