4 armed robberies in 2½ hours: Talk about decadence, a pair of bandits in a SUV terrorized the French Quarter and Marigny Triangle early this morning (Sunday 9.6.09), robbing 5 early morning revelers.
- 3:30 a.m.: In the first incident, the SUV (described in a subsequent robbery as "gray or silver") pulled along side a Hispanic man walking in the 1100 block of Burgundy Street (between Gov. Nicholls and Ursulines streets). The 2 black bandits got out of the vehicle and pulled guns, demanding the man's money. The victim complied and the robbers got back in their getaway car and fled toward Esplanade Avenue.
- 5:09 a.m.: What police believe were the same 2 culprits approached a white guy at Royal and Ursulines street and pulled guns on him, demanding his money. When the would-be victim started screaming, the dastardly duo fled to the gray or silver SUV and fled toward N. Rampart Street.
- 5:45 a.m.: The same SUV pulled along side a white man near Dauphine and Kerlerec streets in the Triangle. The 2 black boys again got out of the SUV, pulled their guns, and demanded the man's money. When the victim said he didn't have any money, the would-be robbers quietly got back into their vehicle and left the scene.
- 6:00 a.m.: The robbers in the SUV came upon 2 white guys walking in the 1400 block of Dauphine Street (just off Esplanade Avenue in the Marigny Triangle). Again, they pulled their guns, demanding money. The victims complied and the robbers got back in the vehicle and fled.
Nor do they have a description of the SUV, other than it's "gray or silver". You'd think that after 4 robberies, someone might be able to tell you what make and model it was, give you a license number, or other identifying characteristics.
But wait, there's more: There haven't been many other robberies reported by the 8th District lately, but there have some:
- Saturday (9.5.09): A white man walking in the 700 block of Commerce Street (between Notre Dame and Julia streets in the CBD) around 3:15 a.m. was held up by a Hispanic guy and a white guy. One slugged the victim with his fist and the other put his hand inside his shirt, making like he had a weapon. They took the victim's money and fled on foot.
- Sunday (8.30.09): A 21-year-old Hispanic man and his brother were walking in the 1000 block of Iberville Street (between Burgundy and N. Rampart streets) around 4:30 a.m. when a gang of 6 to 8 black dudes hit them up for a cigarette. When the victim refused, an argument broke out. The brothers (no, the Hispanics, not the blacks) got in their car and tried to flee.
- Saturday (8.29.09): A white woman was in a bar at 165 Bourbon St. (that faux cowboy honky tonk on the corner of Iberville? The police don't say) around 12:33 a.m. when a Hispanic guy grabbed her purse from her wrist and fled the scene. Two of her friends pursued him until police caught the 22-year-old suspect.
- Thursday (8.27.09): 8th District officers on patrol around 1:27 a.m. apprehended 2 black dudes who were beating a white man lying on the ground in the 400 block of Dauphine Street (between Conti and St. Louis streets) and going through his pockets.
- Tuesday (8.25.09): A white guy who thought he had made a new friend was accosted by the Hispanic man he had met earlier in the evening. The incident took place in the 700 block of Dumaine Street (between Bourbon and Royal streets) around 3:40 a.m. The assailant put his hand inside his shirt, implying he had a gun and demanded the man's money. When the victim told the guy he didn't have any money (making friends to all hours of the night will do that to you), the suspect fled on foot.