A couple of armed robberies yesterday (5.4.09) and other robberies over the weekend put an end to that tranquility and makes it look like the Lower Quarter is now targeted by thieves:
- 4:34 p.m. yesterday: A white guy walking in the 1100 block of Burgundy Street (between Gov. Nicholls and Ursulines streets) was robbed by a black dude who had his hand under his shirt as if he had a weapon. (What? Are the bad guys so poor these days they can't afford the real thing? There's been a lot of posing like this lately. One of these days a robber is going to meet up with a victim who has the real thing.) The robber fled on foot on Ursulines toward N. Rampart Street to make his get away.
- 10:32 p.m. later that day: 4 white women in their 50's and 60's were walking in the 1000 block of Chartres Street (between Ursulines and St. Philip streets) were robbed of their purses by a black guy brandishing a pistol. He fled to Ursulines where he hopped into a dark-colored sedan and took off.
So-called simple robberies: Because no gun is used (or the robber isn't pretending to have one), these crimes go down as "simple" robberies. But often the victim suffers more injuries than he would in an armed robbery:
- Saturday (5.2.09) midnight: A white guy (maybe a little too much merlot too) was meandering in the 700 block of Ursulines Street (between Royal and Bourbon streets) when he was approached from behind and knocked to the ground. His assailant stole his wallet and cell phone.
- Sunday (5.4.09) 2:50 p.m.: A white guy walking near Dauphine and Gov. Nicholls streets was approached by a black panhandler asking for money. When the victim took cash out of his pocket, the creep grabbed the money and ran.
- Monday (5.4.09) 12:01 a.m.: A white gentleman walking near Dauphine and Toulouse streets passed 2 black boys and their 'ho who asked if he wanted to "have a good time." The gentleman ignored her offer, then several seconds later heard footsteps coming from behind as he was struck by the 2 pimps. One took his keys and all 3 fled on Toulouse toward N. Rampart Street.
The other two suspects who got away were described as a black boy, 14 to 16 years of age, 5'6" tall, weighing 140 pounds, wearing a white shirt and blue jeans; a black girl, 14 to 16 years of age, 5'6" tall, a little on the chubby side, weighing 150 pounds, wearing a brown sundress.
- Monday (5.4.09) 6:30 p.m.: Showing you can't let your guard down for even a minute, a white guy who stopped in the 600 block of Gravier Street (between St. Charles Avenue and Camp Street) left his car running and his doors unlocked as he and a woman with him got out to use an ATM. As he did, a black thug hopped in the car and ordered 2 other women who were in the car's back seat out of the car and he drove off in the vehicle.
Taking it seriously, finally: The NOPD apparently has manned up and took responsibility for investigating a rape a week ago that 2 other police departments didn't want to touch because they couldn't be sure the offense happened in their jurisdictions.
He is described as being a light, white-skinned man, 25 to 30 years old, 5'10" to 6' tall, weighing 190 to 200 pounds, with diamond stud earrings in both ears, and last seen wearing a black T-shirt, blue jeans and black tennis shoes.
What's he look like?: Criminal Sheriff Marlin Gusman has been monkeying with his computer and it's playing havoc with our ability to bring you pictures of arrested suspects and their court cases.