It all depends: Robberies in the 8th District (French Quarter, Marigny Triangle, CBD) are down a whopping 55% in the first quarter this year compared to 2008--30 this year verses 67 last year.
- Monday (4.20.09), 9:59 p.m.: A white guy--presumably a performance artist (guitar player? balloon sculptor? the police report didn't say)--sitting near Jackson Square at St. Peter and Chartres streets was robbed of the money in his tip jar by 2 scruffy white dudes wearing only blue jeans and no shirts. One insinuated he had a gun and though the artist struggled, the 2 bums made off with his tips, fleeing on foot.
- Wednesday (4.22.09), 10:45 p.m.: A white couple (she 26, he 23) were walking near Chartres and Frenchmen streets when they were robbed by 2 armed black thugs, who made off with the woman's purse and the guy's wallet and cellphone. The thieves took off on foot up Frenchmen toward St. Claude Avenue.
The perps were described as 20 to 25 years old, one 5'7" tall, weighing 145 pounds, with a dark complexion and medium-length dreadlocks, wearing a blue and white polo shirt and baggy blue jeans; the other was 5'9" tall, weighing 155 pounds, with a short haircut, wearing a baseball cap with a white bandana underneath and clad in a baggy T-shirt and baggy blue jeans.
- Thursday (4.23.09), 3:02 a.m.: An Asian man, 40, and a black female, 27, were strolling near St. Philip and Royal streets when a black thug, armed with a blue steel revolver, accosted them and demanded their money. The victims gave him everything, including their cash, 2 cellphones, ATM and debit cards, driver's license, purse--and the foreigner's green card.
- Friday (4.24.09), 9:40 a.m.: A 59-year-old white man was getting out of his car parked in a lot at Loyola Avenue and Girod Street in broad daylight when a black guy armed with a pistol came up and demanded his money. The victim complied and the robber fled on foot on S. Rampart Street toward Julia Street.
- Saturday (4.25.09), 1 a.m.: A white couple walking in the 800 block of Common Street (between Baronne and Carondelet streets) were accosted by a trio of black thugs, one of whom slugged the man while his buddies grabbed the woman's purse from her shoulder.
Teen carjackers nabbed: A pair of teenage black boys were arrested for carjackings over the weekend in the CBD.
- Friday (4.24.09), 9:55 p.m.: A 33-year-old white man returned to his car parked in the 1400 block of Cleveland Avenue (between Marais and S. Liberty streets) and found the rear passenger window busted out. As he was checking the damage, a black punk tapped on the window with a gun and demanded the man get out of his car and give him the keys. The robber told the owner to run and the thief drove off in the car.
- Saturday (4.25.09), 2:51 p.m.: A white woman returning to her car at the same location the day after the previous carjacking was approached by 2 black punks who demanded her car keys. She told them to go to hell and sped off.
Detectives showed a photo line-up of the 2 boys to the first carjacking victim and he positively identified one of them as the thief who stole his car the night before.
Statistical skeptics: No more had Big Chief Warren Riley released his statistics showing crime--including homicides--was down significantly in the first quarter of this year compared with last year than the skeptics started sniping.
Others still don't believe the NOPD is fully or accurately reporting the crimes as they happen. Big Chief Riley is responsible for such skepticism.