But to be fair...: There probably have been a few other incidents, but this is the first crime in the Lower French Quarter we can think of since the NOPD began aggressively patrolling there in the wake of the murder of Wendy Byrne in mid-January.
However, elsewhere: Now the worse crimes seem to be occurring across Canal Street in the CBD or around the tourist honky-tonks of upper Bourbon Street. In one case, 8th District detectives managed to arrest 2 suspects:
- 3:43 a.m. Friday (4.17.09): 2 white men walking in the 1400 block of Canal when 3 black thugs accosted them. One struck one of the victims, knocking him to the ground. Another put his hand inside his shirt, implying he had a gun, and told the victims to empty their pockets. The victims complied and the 3 perps fled on foot toward Claiborne Avenue.
- 9:10 p.m. Friday (4.17.09): 2 white women, both 25, walking in the 300 block of Notre Dame Street (between Commerce and Tchoupitoulas streets) when they were accosted by a black dude with a pistol wrapped in a blue handkerchief. He demanded their purses. They complied and he fled on foot to Commerce, turning left toward Canal Street.
- 1:30 a.m. Friday (4.17.09): A white man, whose age wasn't reported, got into an argument with another patron at the Roundup bar, 819 St. Louis St. The other guy grabbed the victim's cane and struck him and fled from the bar on foot.
- 8:45 p.m. Friday (4.17.09): Change its name all you want, but the old Utopia Night Club (now known as Bourbon Rocks), 227 Bourbon St., was again the scene of a scuffle like the old Utopia was notorious for.
Bouncers in the club subdued the alleged assailant and police arrested Randy Allard (pictured) and charged him with aggravated battery.
- 1:03 a.m.: A 20-year-old black guy was standing outside the hotel with a buddy when a dark-colored Ford Expedition pulled up and 2 black dudes opened fire with handguns, shooting the victim in the right hand, abdomen and thigh.
The other perp was 23 to 25 years old, 6'1" tall, with an athletic build and chin-length dreadlocks, wearing an orange T-shirt and blue jeans.
- 5 p.m.: An 18-year-old black chick was sitting in Room 340 of the hotel when a 14-year-old Baton Rouge girl she knew came in. They got into an argument and the juvenile girl pulled out a knife (some reports say a box cutter, others a Swiss Army knife) and allegedly stabbed the older teenager in the top of her head on on her right forearm.
Here come the judge: You might have noticed that we've linked all the judges and magistrate court commissioners (who set bonds) to their email addresses on NOcrimeline.com. If you have comments for any of them about these or other cases, let them know what you think. They work for you!