Hiding in Iberville: We've all been spending a lot of energy worrying about whether the 3 teens involved in Wendy Byrne's death are going to be tried as adults. But they're safely in jail.
Asst. Chief Marlon Defillo admitted last week that Shateek Howard--the 16-year-old black boy wanted for shooting a teenage girl to death and for pumping her boyfriend full of lead Uptown last fall--has been spotted numerous times in the Iberville project since he escaped from custody 2.11.09 while being escorted from Juvenile Court on Loyola Avenue.
Weekends only?: Crime seems to have become a weekend sport. With one exception on St. Patrick's Day (and one last night at the House of Blues), the only crimes reported by the 8th District the past couple of weeks have all seemed to occur on the weekends:
- Saturday (3.21.09): A black woman working as a cashier at the parking lot at N. Peters and St. Philip streets was robbed around 12:15 .m. by a black man wielding a pistol. Or rather, she fled and the robber helping himself to the loot in the till.
- Sunday (3.22.09): A black man parking his car at the corner of Dauphine and Dumaine streets around 4:45 a.m. was approached by a black dude who pulled a gun and demanded his car keys.
- Sunday (3.22.09): This sounds like one of those discussions among "professionals". Around 5 a.m., 2 white women walking near Bourbon and Conti streets were approached by a black chick they had exchanged words with earlier in the evening.
And in other violent news: A couple of fights outside the weekends pattern resulted in arrests:
- St. Patrick's Day (3.17.09): A couple of white guys got into it in a strip club in the 600 block of Iberville Street around 9:24 p.m. (We initially reported the incident occurred in the Artists Cafe at 608 Iberville, based on info from the NOPD. But the owner of another club across the street tells us Artists has been shut for a year and a half, and that the club in question here was next door to Artists called Dixie Divas.) When one left to go into the restroom, he was followed by the other, who pulled a knife and attempted to stab him. The would-be victim punched his assailant, who dropped the knife. The victim picked it up and went outside where he flagged down a passing cop.
- Monday (3.23.09): A melee at the House of Blues, 225 Decatur St., last night around 8:55 p.m. resulted in 2 guys, including the club's manager, being slashed with a boxcutter and another patron being arrested. During an argument, a 20-year-old white guy allegedly took out the knife and began swinging it around, cutting an 18-year-old patron on his left side. When the 36-year-old club manager attempted to break up the fight, he was cut on his right thigh.
Dealers beware: 8th District cops have been making a fair share of drug busts in the French Quarter, mostly by keeping an eye out for suspicious activity. Most of the arrests go down as first-time marijuana use, but every once in awhile they nab a would-be dealer.