UGLY: Shades of "Pretty Baby": A 14-year-old girl wandering in the French Quarter on Monday (3.9.09) evening was picked up by a 40-year-old black guy around 9:47 p.m. His name was "Joe", he told her, and took her to a bar in the Quarter. Then he took her to his house in the 2100 block of Perdido Street where he had intercourse with her.
BAD: A number of bad guys have managed to escape charges against them, thanks to the District Attorney refusing to prosecute their cases:
- We just found out the DA refused all charges against Joseph Lawrence, 21, who wound up with 16 charges against him after a man was robbed outside the Renaissance Pere Marquette Hotel in the CBD last September.
- Utopia for them, maybe: At the time, it seemed reminiscent of the scene out of the movie "Animal House" where some unsavory dudes come up to the frat boys and say, "We wanna dance wit yore dates." Except at Utopia Night Club last October it got out of hand.
- Tuesday (3.10.09) night, 2 black dudes loitering on a stoop in the 900 block of Bourbon Street (between St. Philip and Dumaine streets) thought they smelled easy money when a 39-year-old white man walked by about 10:40 p.m.
A short time later, officers apprehended Devon Mathieu (right),19, and Evan Hartzog (left), 18, and charged them with armed robbery.
- Tuesday (3.10.09): Detectives issued an arrest warrant for Jamal Jackson, 24, for an armed robbery that took place 2.15.09 at Iberville Street near Dorsiere Street (between Decatur and Chartres streets) around 5:30 a.m. when a black dude came up behind a 21-year-old black woman with a gun and robbed her of her purse. The robber was described as about 30 years old, 5'8" tall, weighing 150 pounds.
- Monday (3.9.09): Police arrested Clarence Andrews, 19, and charged him with simple robbery. Andrews was allegedly in a trio of black thugs who accosted an Uptown white woman in the 1100 block of Dauphine Street (between Ursulines Avenue and Gov. Nicholls Street) on 12.27.08. One bumped into the victim and another one grabbed her purse.
- A week ago (3.5.09): Ofc. Anthony Bakewell and Ofc. Joe Waguespack arrested an oft-arrested and sometimes convicted coke dealer in the 400 block of Dauphine Street (between Conti and St. Louis streets) late in the evening.
- It seemed like a simple little robbery, no big deal. But Judge Keva Landrum-Johnson wasn't treating it like one when she sentenced Douglas Roach, 21, to 10 years in prison last Thursday (3.12.09) after he pled guilty to 2 armed robberies. Then, noting it was a crime of violence, she tacked on another 10 years, though it will run concurrent with the other sentence.
- A pursesnatcher is going to be doing 3 years in prison, thanks to Judge Frank Marullo Jr. On Tuesday (3.10.09), Marullo sentenced Leroy Gordon, 17, after he pled guilty to the charge.