Another homicide?: Depending on which side of S. Claiborne Avenue the victim was on when he was stabbed depends on whether the 8th District has notched its second homicide of the year.
Hard way to get a ride: A guy with an apparent penchant for other people's vehicles has been nabbed again.
After crashing into several parked cars, the suspect got only 2 blocks before hopping out of the car and taking off running on St. Philip Street toward N. Rampart Street.
Violence in the Upper Quarter: A variety of mayhem ushered in Carnival season early Saturday (2.7.09) in the touristy part of the French Quarter:
- 5 a.m.: A black restroom attendant in a business in the 100 block of Bourbon Street near Canal Street (trying to figure out what business there is so fancy) was robbed of all his tip money by 2 white guys who cornered him in the restroom.
- 5:38 a.m.: A 31-year-old black guy was jumped by a gang of the brothers at Bourbon and St. Louis streets. He was cut on the head and chest by what was believed to be a broken beer bottle and was taken by ambulance to Tulane Medical Center for treatment. The victim could give no description of his attackers.
- 9:40 a.m.: A couple was walking in the 200 block of Royal Street (between Bienville and Conti streets) when a black guy coming the other way slapped the man's girlfriend on the butt. The boyfriend took umbrage and got into an argument with the assailant (seems an appropriate word) who then allegedly pulled out a pocket knife and stabbed the boyfriend in the back of his neck.
The wages of sin: A number of bad guys met their fate in court this past week:
- Dameon J. Brown, 23, pled guilty to first-degree robbery and was sentenced to 3 years in prison without parole or probation by Judge Karen Herman. He was charged with robbing a man 8.9.08 at Dauphine and St. Louis streets.
- Jules A. Wise, 21, pled guilty to simple robbery and was given a 6-year suspended sentence by Judge Lynda Van Davis, who put him on 5-years probation and ordered him to go to drug court. He was charged with robbing a man at Bourbon and St. Ann streets 11.16.08 and with prostitution and criminal trespass.
- Kyle S. Brown, 22, (the sheriff never managed to get a picture of him) was found guilty by Judge Laurie White of aggravated assault with a firearm upon a police officer. He is out on $50,000 bond until his sentencing 3.2.09.
- Christopher Nabonne, 18, was found guilty by a jury on charges of aggravated battery and aggravated assault with discharge of a firearm. He is awaiting sentencing 3.6.09 by Judge Karen Herman.
Show up: What with all that's going on in the French Quarter, don't forget 2 important meetings this week:
- Thursday (2.12.09): The monthly meeting of NONPAC (New Orleans Neighborhood Policing Anti-Crime Council) at 5:30 p.m. at the Maison Dupuy Hotel, 1001 Toulouse St. (at Burgundy Street).
- Saturday (2.14.09): The "Buffa's Bunch", an ad hoc group of residents formed after Wendy Byrne's murder which has been successful in getting the attention of City Council members and the top brass of the NOPD, meets at noon at Buffa's Lounge at Esplanade Avenue and Burgundy Street.