Or late, late Saturday night, if you prefer: Robbers went crazy in the French Quarter early Sunday (11.23.08) morning. In 3 of the robberies, the robber was described as a black dude, between 17 and 23 years old, a dark complexion, clean shaven and shoulder-length braids, and wearing a white hooded sweatshirt:
- 2:05 a.m.: A white man had just parked his new Nissan Titan pickup truck in the 100 block of Exchange Alley when he was approached by 2 black dudes, one armed with a pistol who demanded his keys. The owner complied and the robbers ordered his girlfriend out of the truck. The robbers fled in it down Iberville Street toward the river. The truck is white and has LA license tag W0325395.
- 2:30 a.m.: A white man standing in the 1200 block of Royal Street (between Gov. Nicholls and Ursulines streets) was robbed of his cash by a black guy with a gun.
- 3 a.m.: A white woman and 2 friends were walking near Ursulines and Chartres streets when a maroon Dodge truck pulled along side of them. The passenger, a young black fella, got out and asked the woman for her phone number. When she refused, he grabbed her purse, while putting his hand in his pocket, implying he had a gun. She gave up the purse and the robber got back in the truck, which sped off toward N. Rampart Street.
- 4:45 a.m.: A 30-year-old white guy walking near Ursulines and Burgundy streets was robbed of his cash at gunpoint when a white truck pulled along side him and a black dude got out and demanded his money.
With friends like these...: Friends fighting friends, my, my:
- Friday (11.21.08), 1:15 a.m.: Two black men, supposedly friends, got into an argument near Harrah's Casino. One of them took it to another level when he pulled out a knife and allegedly cut his "friend". The victim was taken to the hospital for treatment. Arrested this morning (11.24.08) and charged with aggravated battery was Willie Cruell, 21, 5'11" tall, weighing 180 pounds.
- Saturday (11.22.08), 10:45 p.m.: A white woman told police she was in the 400 block of Bourbon Street (between Conti and St. Louis streets) when she got into an argument with a 27-year-old white guy she knew. She said he pulled a knife and pointed it at her stomach in a threatening manner. Police said they arrested a "Brandon Thompson" a short time later and charged him with aggravated assault, but court and jail records show no suspect by that name.
- Sunday (11.23.08), 7:42 p.m.: A white man and his wife were coming out of Matasa's Market at St. Philip and Dauphine streets when a white guy asked them for a cigarette. They refused and he asked again, but when he was refused again, he pulled a knife and pointed it at the couple in a threatening manner.
Speaking of that beating: It's still puzzling why those 6 black youths were charged with only a municipal offense last Wednesday for beating a man in the 900 block of St. Philip street. The penalty, upon conviction, is only slighting less in municipal court than state court.
By the way, one of the youths arrested last week, Javon Perrymon, 20, was arrested for burglary 3 times--yes, THREE, times--last year, and in each case the DA refused to prosecute him. But here he was, hanging out on a stoop at Burgundy and St. Philip streets. He listed his home as The Covenant House at 611 N. Rampart St.
Grand jury charges in Malta case: An Orleans Parish grand jury today (11.24.08) indicted Mark Ott, 31, on 2nd degree murder charges in the beating death of Robin Malta, a French Quarter hair salon owner.