New DA needed NOW: Leon Cannizzaro's ready to take over as DA and starting kicking some butt just as soon as the election results are verified, probably the first part of next week. It can't be too soon. Consider the case of this scumbag:
Boxed in: What is it with boxcutters all of a sudden? In 2 attacks this week, that was the weapon of choice:
- Sunday (11.2.08), a black dude walking with his brothers (no, really, his brothers) at about 5:41 a.m. on Burgundy Street, near Iberville Street, was accosted by a Hispanic guy who came up and started shouting at him, then pulled out a boxcutter and cut him on the arm. The victim's brothers pushed the assailant to the ground and held him until police arrived.
- Tuesday (11.4.08), 2 white men, who police said were "acquaintances," got into an argument at The Roundup Bar, 819 St. Louis St. One pulled a boxcutter and cut his "friend" on the arm.
What's the commotion?: Often the police response to a scene is so dramatic that citizens might think the sky is falling. For instance:
- One NOcrimeline reader wanted to know if there was some sort of criminal activity in the 600 and 700 blocks of Esplanade Avenue (between Chartres and Bourbon streets) just after midnight on 10.29.08 because there were many police cars on the scene.
- Another NOcrimeline reader, coming out of work just after 5 p.m. on 10.30.08 was nearly hit as she started to cross the street at Camp and Natchez streets by an unmarked SUV speeding down Camp without lights or siren on. The officer jumped out of the SUV and pulled her gun on a man running across Poydras Street. Another unmarked SUV arrived on the scene in the same manner, swerved, and hit the guy, knocking him down. The reader said about 10 marked NOPD cars showed up and "at least 15 NOPD" officers "standing around staring at this guy in the street."
- If you noticed emergency vehicles converging on Burgundy Street at Kerlerec Street on Thursday (11.6.08) just after midnight, it was due to a suicide at 1719 Burgundy St. According to the police report, a 21-year-old girl, depressed over breaking up with her boyfriend, drank heavily and put a gun in her mouth and fired one shot. She died on the scene. A shame: a long-term solution for a short-term problem.