More pursesnatchings, natch: At least 2 pursesnatchings were reported over the weekend, but at least the cops caught one of the perps:
- Friday (10.17.08): A white woman was standing with a friend at Canal and Dauphine streets, by the Ritz-Carlton, at about midnight when a well-dressed, clean cut white guy came up and grabbed her purse from her hand.
- Sunday (10.19.08): A white woman was walking in he 200 block of O'Keefe Avenue, near Tulane Avenue, just after midnight when a black guy came up behind her and grabbed her purse. He took off on foot toward Canal Street, but was apprehended by the police.
Crime elsewhere: The 8th District is not the only area of New Orleans to suffer from crime. Consider:
- 2nd District: This Uptown neighborhood has been hit hard lately by all sorts of crime, and Maj. Bruce Little--who not too many years ago was a sergeant running the 8th District's taskforce--has been put in charge of combating it.
- 5th District: Within 12 minutes, a gunman on a bicycle robbed 6 victims in 3 hold-ups within 2 blocks of each other early Sunday (10.19.08) morning in the Faubourg Marigny.
- The first robbery occurred at 1:57 a.m. at Royal and Spain streets, where a 42-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman were robbed when a black man rode up on a bicycle, pulled a gun, and demanded "give me everything you have," before riding off with the loot. (As one alert reader pointed out, Marais does not intersect Chartres--perhaps the lone officer, by the name of "Cador", who had to investigate all these robberies single-handedly, meant Marigny Street instead.)
- The second stick-up occurred at 2:02 a.m. at Burgundy Street and Franklin Avenue where a 25-year-old man and a 23-year-old woman encountered the same modus operendi.
- The third incident occurred at 2:09 a.m. at Burgundy and Spain streets in the same manner where the victims were a 33-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman.
More on carrying a gun: We reported last week on a local attorney who cited the appropriate law that allows citizens to carry guns.
And some go to jail: In the past week, at least 3 miscreants got jail time for their crimes in the 8th District:
- Kerwin Duncan, 21, got 2 years in prison Friday (10.17.08) after pleading guilty to 2 pursesnatchings he committed over a year ago in the Lower French Quarter. But that sentence by Criminal District Court Judge Lynda Van Davis means he'll probably be on the street sooner than later, since he got credit for time served since he was arrested 9.18.07.
He was also charged with an attack on a Harahan couple in their 40s on 9.11.07 on Dauphine Street near the Port of Call restaurant. One of the assailants slugged the man in the mouth while the other grabbed the woman's purse.
- Bobby Boone, 36, was sentenced last Wednesday (10.15.08) by Judge Arthur L. Hunter Jr. to 30 months in prison without parole after pleading guilty to attempted armed robbery.
- Terrence Johnson, 21, after a whole host of charges were reduced, combined, or done away with, got a 6-month sentence from Judge Dennis Waldron after pleading guilty to aggravated assault.