What's with this?: Bourbon Street, for all its rowdiness at all hours, is usually rather tame crimewise: Disneyland with alcohol. But this month, there all sorts of things happening there that should give you pause for your safety.
There was gunplay at Chris Owens' Club in the 500 block. A black chick was busted at Larry Flynt's Barely Legal strip joint in the 400 block for peddling cocaine. A white "lady" pulled a rod to chase away 2 unwanted suitors in the 100 block. Now this:
- A black woman, 22, barred from entering the Fat Catz Music Club at 440 Bourbon St. last Thursday (5.15.08) returned about 2 a.m. in a car and allegedly pointed a pistol at the bouncer who barred her. She fled in the vehicle but was apprehended a short time later. Arrested was Ciera Wells, who was charged with aggravated assault. She posted her bond of $20,000 and got out of jail before Sheriff Marlin Gusman could focus his Instamatic.
- A white couple was robbed in the restroom of Mango Mango (called by some "Mangle Mangle" after its abysmal conversion of the Old Absinthe House into a daiquiri dive nearly 10 years ago) at 400 Bourbon St. last Friday (5.16.08) at 4:30 a.m. The man was followed into the restroom by a white man, a black man, and a light-skinned black woman. One of the men struck the male victim. When the female victim tried to intercede, the black woman struck her. The black woman took the man's wallet and fled with her 2 male accomplices.
His only other previous charges in Orleans Parish were for first time possession of marijuana--3 times! The first time he was arrested 8.23.06, the DA refused to prosecute him. The next 2 times, on 12.22.06 and 7.23.07, he pled guilty each time and each time paid a fine of $200 (Don't ask me how you do something for the first time twice--must be a peculiarity of the Napoleonic Code).
Officers Lipscomb and Morel have been a 2-man drug wrecking crew the past week, making 8 other drug arrests, mostly for minor drug offenses:
- 800 block of St. Ann Street (between Dauphine and Bourbon streets), Tuesday (5.20.08), 2:30 a.m., white male, 32.
- St. Louis and Dauphine streets, Tuesday (5.20.08), 12:05 a.m., black male, 42.
- 1900 block of N. Rampart Street (between Pauger and Touro streets), Friday (5.16.08), 12:15 a.m., black male, 47.
- St. Ann and Bourbon streets, Thursday (5.15.08), 11:25 p.m., black male, 45.
- N. Peters Street and Elysian Fields Avenue, Thursday (5.15.08), 1:37 a.m., black male, 21.
- Dauphine and Orleans streets, Wednesday (5.14.08), 2 a.m., white man, 54.
- N. Peters Street and Elysian Fields Avenue, Wednesday (5.14.08), 10:30 p.m., 2 black males, 20.
- N. Peters Street and Elysian Fields Avenue, Wednesday (5.14.08), 10 p.m., white female, 20.
- 900 block of St. Louis Street (between Dauphine and Burgundy streets), Tuesday (5.20.08), 1:20 a.m., Officers Willie Jenkins and Calcedonia Fiorella arrested a white male, 54.
- 300 block of Dauphine Street (between Bienville and Conti streets), Monday (5.19.08), 10:30 p.m., Officers Kelsey Lewis and Johnnie Brumfield arrested a black man, 32.
- Dauphine and St. Ann streets, Tuesday (5.13.08), 9:45 p.m., Officer Kelsey Lewis arrested a white female, 44.
- Aggravated burglary: 800 block of Touro Street (between Dauphine and Burgundy streets in the Marigny Triangle), Saturday (5.17.08), 4:01 p.m. (We're confident this happened because it was reported by a NOcrimeline subscriber as well as the T-P, though it wasn't reported by the 8th District.) 5 black boys entered a house where 2 Hispanic men were working and, armed with a handgun and hammer, demanded the men's wallets, which contained about $150.
- Assault and battery:
- Friday (5.16.08):
- 600 block of Conti Street, 4:03 p.m.
- Saturday (5.17.08):
- 400 block of Bourbon Street, 1 a.m.
- Orleans and Royal streets, 1:24 a.m.
- Constance and Julia streets, 2:36 a.m.
- 800 block of Fulton Street, 3:54 a.m.
- 300 block of Bourbon Street, 7:34 p.m.
- Sunday (5.18.08):
- First block of Canal Street, 5:24 a.m.
- 900 block of Iberville Street, 8:30 a.m.
- 900 block of Convention Center Boulevard, 5:11 p.m.
- Friday (5.16.08):
- 600 block of Royal Street, 2:31 p.m.
- 900 block of Canal Street, 4:22 p.m.
- 1000 block of Canal Street, 5:12 p.m.
- 900 block of Canal Street, 6:35 p.m.
- Saturday (5.17.08):
- 200 block of St. Charles Avenue, 6:17 a.m.
- 900 block of Convention Center Boulevard, 11:46 a.m.
- 100 block of S. Claiborne Avenue, 11:59 a.m.
- 1000 block of Convention Center Boulevard, 2:50 p.m.
- 1400 block of Chartres Street, 7:55 p.m.
- Sunday (5.18.20):
- 500 block of Bourbon Street, Sunday (5.18.20), 3:04 a.m.
- Gravier Street and Loyola Avenue, 5:55 a.m.
- 900 block of Convention Center Boulevard, 9:39 a.m.
- 900 block of Convention Center Boulevard, 10:38 a.m.
- 100 block of St. Charles Avenue, 12:54 p.m.
- 800 block of Convention Center Boulevard, 6:55 p.m.
In the second at 4:45 a.m., a white 70-year-old cab driver was standing in the 900 block of Poeyfarre Street (between Constance and Annunciation streets) was approached by the gang wielding the shotgun and this time another boy had a pistol. They demanded the man's money and the victim complied.
The young punks fled on foot but were apprehended a short time later by the police, who confiscated the shotgun and pistol. Police arrested the young punks, who were identified by the Times-Picayune as Frederick Wilson, 15, Ericton Wilson, 14, and Brandon Carter, 15.
Bruce Pierre, 36, was booked shortly after 3 p.m. today (5.20.08) on a warrant for battery, but that charge was wiped from court records after Judge Ben Willard sprung him from jail on his own recognizance.
I don't know what these 2 have on those judges, but it doesn't make me feel any safer walking the streets. Remember those names when all the judges are up for election this fall.
Back behind bars: David Bonds, 19, was returned to Orleans Parish Prison today (5.20.08) just after noon to face a charge of attempted first degree murder. He is being held on $750,000 bond.
Famous as the kid who beat a murder rap last month in the case of a noted 9th Ward musician, Bonds was apprehended Friday (5.16.08) afternoon in Thibodaux by Lafourche Parish Sheriff's deputies after a manhunt resulted in a brief foot chase.
The kid who beat the murder rap in the case of a Mid-city musician only to be charged less than a month later with attempted murder in a shooting at Canal and St. Charles streets was arrested yesterday.
Bonds allegedly shot a 25-year-old white guy in the chest with a handgun following an argument at Canal and St. Charles streets at 5:35 a.m. on 5.4.08. At that time the victim was reported as critical but stable at a local hospital. A pair of eyewitnesses to the Canal Street shooting identified Bonds from photographs.