The white victim (the police refuse to give his age) and a group of friends got into an argument with Bonds and his entourage (that's French, I think, for "gang") at about 5:35 a.m., according to the 8th District's belated report. Bonds allegedly pulled a gun pulled a handgun and fired it, striking the other fella in the chest. The victim is reported in critical but stable condition at a local hospital.
This is the second shooting mentioned in the same breath with Bonds after his acquittal 4.10.08 in the shooting death of Dinerral Shavers in 2006. You remember that case because of the controversy over the reluctance of a young girl to identify Bonds as the shooter, forcing the DA to drop the case. Charges were reinstated after the DA located more witnesses, but when it came time to testify this last time, they went blind when Bonds allegedly made threatening gestures toward them in the courtroom.
But now Bonds is running the streets of the French Quarter and CBD as an armed and dangerous fugitive. Let's hope the NOPD takes him down before one of us becomes a victim. His 19th birthday is Wednesday (5.7.08). Let's celebrate him into OPP!
More wanted: 8th District detectives have also issued warrants for other suspects in some recent robberies. Warrants are out for:
- Victor Russell, 48, black male, 6'1" tall, weighs 165 pounds: He's wanted for robbing a white woman of her purse on 4.26.08 at 5:15 a.m. while she was walking on Carondelet Street near Girod Street.
- Mark Melerine, 34, white male, 5'11" tall, weighing 180 pounds: He's wanted for snatching a woman's purse last Tuesday (4.29.08) in the 1300 block of Bourbon Street at 12:25 p.m. He reportedly hopped out of a white SUV and grabbed her purse, splitting her lip in the process. He has short hair and was wearing a white polo shirt and beige pants. His accomplice who was driving the SUV has not been identified.
- Jesse Akmin, 18, black male, 6'1" tall, weighing 180 pounds: He and 2 accomplices allegedly held up a white man last Tuesday (4.29.08) who was walking in the 1400 block of Chartres Street near Esplanade Avenue around 10:40 p.m. He was charged with armed robbery and is in OPP in lieu of $100,000 bond.
8th District police had just arrested Akmin on 4.4.08 in the French Quarter for possession of marijuana. And they say drugs won't hurt you.
Robbery, plain and simple: It's hard to believe there was no commotion of any sort for 3 whole days in the 8th District. But, if that's true, let's herald it as good news. After a slew of armed robberies and pursesnatchings last Tuesday (4.29.08) following a week's hiatus, there was nothing reported by the 8th District NOPD until these incidents this weekend:
- Saturday (5.3.08), 4:15 a.m., Bourbon and St. Ann streets: A white woman was standing on the corner when a black man came up from the front and grabbed her purse. He fled down St. Ann toward N. Rampart Street. He was described as 6'1" tall, weighing 170 pounds, wearing a red, tan and black striped shirt.
- Sunday (5.4.08), 3 a.m., 300 block of Burgundy Street: A black man walking down the street was robbed of a gold chain around his neck by a black man who ran up behind him. The victim chased the culprit down Conti Street toward N. Rampart Street and the police apprehended Anthony Johnson, 21, shortly after and charged him with simple robbery, flight from an officer, and criminal trespass.