'Tis the season...
Supposed to be for giving, not taking: Wouldn't it be nice on Christmas Eve to report that all was quiet and peaceful? But no such luck. But 4 armed robberies in the Lower French Quarter and Marigny Triangle on Sunday and 7 others last week in the Quarter and Triangle make that impossible. Crime doesn't take a holiday, so be careful if you're going out on Christmas.
Here's what went down:
- You already knew about the robbery at Le Richelieu Hotel, 1234 Chartres St., last Thursday. We're still having trouble prying additional information out of the police, but a NOcrimeline subscriber reported 2 black men held up the establishment about 5 a.m. and got $900 from the front desk. Now we'll wait for the police's version.
- Then Friday night about 11:10 p.m. there was a hold-up at Barracks and Burgundy Streets. Again, the police are delinquent in supplying any information.
- That same neighborhood was hit hard Sunday:
- First, Cosimo's bar at 1201 Burgundy St. was robbed in the early morning hours at about 1:10 a.m.
He walked out of the bar and run up Burgundy, turning on Ursulines Street toward N. Rampart Street. He was described as 5'7" tall, weighing 160 pounds, with bulging eyes, and very short hair ("almost like a mohawk," the report stated). The detective is retrieving the video surveillance tape from the bar which corroborates the bartender's account of the crime.
- That night, at about 8:48 p.m., 2 black men, a 23-year-old man from Zachary, LA, and a 28-year-old man from Baton Rouge, walking in the 900 block of Gov. Nicholls Street just off Burgundy Street were approached from behind by a black man who pulled a black semi-automatic handgun with a chrome slide and demanded their money. The 23-year-old gave up his wallet containing about $110 and his cellphone, while the 28-year-old fled.
Based on positive identification by the victim and his friend, the NOPD charged Alvin Berfect, 18, whose last known address is 1820 Urquart St., a 5'10" tall black man weighing 160 pounds, wearing a white hoodie and a white hat with a red tip.
- Later, a 45-year-old man from North Carolina, walked into the 8th District station about 9:17 p.m. to report he'd been robbed at about 8:50 p.m. in the mid-900 block of Barracks Street, between Burgundy and Dauphine streets.
He was shown the suspect apprehended in the prior robbery and positively identified Berfect as the man who had robbed him.
- Still later in the evening, a black man walked into John Paul's bar at 940 Elysian Fields Ave. and asked for a drink. When the bartender asked for the man's ID, the man pulled a black semi-automatic handgun and demanded he bartender empty the cash register and hand over the money. The bartender complied, surrendering approximately $749.
As I said, be careful out there...you might want to substitute the frankincense and myrrh with Smith & Wesson.
Make it a Merry Christmas no matter what.