Night out FOR crime...
Some just haven't gotten the message: It had been a relatively quiet week crime-wise, ever since Lt. Eddie Selby deployed his mega-force of cops in the Lower French Quarter and Marigny Triangle 10 days ago. But 2 nights after local residents held Night Out Against Crime events, a car-full of punks tried to make it a night out FOR crime last night by staging 3 robberies in the span of 90 minutes. When it was all over, 8th District cops swooped down on the car carrying the gang of 6 in the 1000 block of Chartres Street--just 2 blocks from where an officer in the taskforce shot another suspect exactly one week ago. Maybe these guys--and gals--haven't heard the Lower Quarter and Triangle are no places to go if you've got dastardly deeds in mind.
Here's what happened where:
- 600 block of Burgundy Street (between Toulouse and St. Peter streets), 10:35 p.m. Thursday: A 48-year-old white man who lives in the 900 block of Conti Street was walking toward Esplanade Avenue on Burgundy when he saw a black man walking toward him. He tried to avoid him, but the man jumped in his path again and mumblede something, which turned out to be "Give me your money" when the victim looked down and saw the semi-automatic handgun the perpetrator was holding. The victim, who had just come from the NONPAC police meeting about 4 hours earlier, said he "immediately forgot everything Capt. Hosli has told us about remembering a perp's appearance. All I could see was the gun. I gave him my cash ($28) and we each fled in opposite directions, he towards Esplanade and me back towards Conti."
- Dauphine and Kerelec streets, 11:15 p.m. Thursday: A 27-year-old white man who lives in the 1900 block of Dauphine was walking to the Esplanade Mini-Market at the corner when he noticed 2 black men, one of whom crossed the street and acted as a lookout while the other pulled a handgun and demanded the victim's money.
- Dauphine and St. Philip streets, 12:10 a.m. Friday: A white man who lives in the 500 block of Dumaine Street (who turned 22 today) was walking on Dauphine toward Esplanade Avenue when he noticed a car-full of black people parked just off St. Philip. Just as he past the street, a black man came up from behind and asked him if he knew where "Quincy Street" is. When the victim turned around, the man brandished a black semi-automatic pistol and asked for the victim's cellphone and a red bag he was carrying.
- John James, 20, whose last known address is 1736 Vintage Dr., Kenner. He was charged with 2 counts of armed robbery, 1 count of robbery with a firearm, and is also being held on a warrant from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. He was identified in all 3 robberies.
- Wilbert L. Johnson, 18, whose last know address is 444 Sopaparu St. He was charged with 1 counts of armed robbery and 1 count of robbery with a firearm. He was identified in the Dauphine/Kerelec robbery and the Dauphine/St. Philip robbery.
- 14-year-old black boy, whose last know address is 1839 Carondelet St. He was charged with armed robbery.
- Kiandra Lee, 23
- Tiandra Lee, 21
- Tiffany LeBlanc, 25
Give the men of the 8th District, and their commander, Lt. Selby, a hand for putting the screws to these crooks and getting them out of the neighborhood. The taskforce they're manning every night is showing results--either in fewer crimes or more arrests. Maybe even tell your city councilman you want funding for these efforts to continue.
More tomorrow on a rash of residential burglaries...but for now, the Saints aren't going to delay the kickoff for me.